1. Belonging to some prior time.
5. A rotating disk shaped to convert circular into linear motion.
8. (usually followed by `to' or `for') On the point of or strongly disposed.
11. A large area of land preserved in its natural state as public property.
12. The elementary stages of any subject (usually plural).
13. The United Nations agency concerned with the interests of labor.
14. Mild yellow Dutch cheese made in balls.
15. The act of slowing down or falling behind.
16. The compass point that is one point east (clockwise) of due north.
17. An esoteric or occult matter that is traditionally secret.
20. Tag the base runner to get him out.
22. A lipoprotein that transports cholesterol in the blood.
23. A soft silvery metallic element of the alkali earth group.
24. A unit of dry measure used in Egypt.
27. A port in western Israel on the Mediterranean.
29. Bug of temperate regions that infests especially beds and feeds on human blood.
33. A soft white precious univalent metallic element having the highest electrical and thermal conductivity of any metal.
34. The blood group whose red cells carry both the A and B antigens.
35. A collection of facts from which conclusions may be drawn.
36. A toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion.
40. The money risked on a gamble.
41. A transuranic element that has not been found in nature.
43. Used of a single unit or thing.
44. A former agency (from 1946 to 1974) that was responsible for research into atomic energy and its peacetime uses in the United States.
45. An informal term for a father.
46. A piece of furniture that provides a place to sleep.
1. An organization of countries formed in 1961 to agree on a common policy for the sale of petroleum.
2. A quantity of no importance.
3. Decapod having eyes on short stalks and a broad flattened carapace with a small abdomen folded under the thorax and pincers.
4. Swedish oceanographer who recognized the role of the Coriolis effect on ocean currents (1874-1954).
5. West Indian tree having racemes of fragrant white flowers and yielding a durable timber and resinous juice.
6. A loose sleeveless outer garment made from aba cloth.
7. One millionth of a gram.
8. In the Arabian Nights a hero who tells of the fantastic adventures he had in his voyages.
9. A river in central Europe that arises in northwestern Czechoslovakia and flows northward through Germany to empty into the North Sea.
10. Having a toe or toes of a specified kind.
18. 1 species.
19. Filled with fear or apprehension.
21. The eleventh month of the Hindu calendar.
25. (old-fashioned) At or from or to a great distance.
26. Harmony of people's opinions or actions or characters.
28. A yellow pungent volatile oil (trade name Agene) formerly used for bleaching and aging flour.
30. A wealthy man (who made his fortune in the Orient).
31. Comb-plate or locomotor organ consisting of a row of strong cilia whose bases are fused.
32. Treated with contempt.
37. A drug combination found in some over-the-counter headache remedies (Aspirin and Phenacetin and Caffeine).
38. The cry made by sheep.
39. Seed of a pea plant.
42. A public promotion of some product or service.
43. A loose sleeveless outer garment made from aba cloth.