1. A primeval personification of air and breath.
5. The federal agency that insures residential mortgages.
8. A dark-skinned member of a race of people living in Australia when Europeans arrived.
11. God of love and erotic desire.
12. A river in north central Switzerland that runs northeast into the Rhine.
13. A period of time spent sleeping.
14. Lacking sufficient water or rainfall.
15. A lyric poem with complex stanza forms.
16. A member of the Shoshonean people of Utah and Colorado and New Mexico.
17. A pale rose-colored variety of the ruby spinel.
20. A radioactive element of the actinide series.
21. Goddess of criminal rashness and its punishment.
22. A plant hormone promoting elongation of stems and roots.
26. Having undesirable or negative qualities.
29. Cubes of meat marinated and cooked on a skewer usually with vegetables.
31. The cry made by sheep.
33. Submerged aquatic plant having narrow leaves and small flowers.
37. Small terrestrial lizard of warm regions of the Old World.
41. Slender bristlelike appendage found on the bracts of grasses.
42. (botany) Of or relating to the axil.
45. Someone who is morally reprehensible.
46. Wild and domestic cattle.
47. The villain in William Shakespeare's tragedy who tricked Othello into murdering his wife.
48. A master's degree in fine arts.
49. In or of the month preceding the present one.
50. The act of scanning.
51. The sense organ for hearing and equilibrium.
1. Jordan's port.
2. French revolutionary leader (born in Switzerland) who was a leader in overthrowing the Girondists and was stabbed to death in his bath by Charlotte Corday (1743-1793).
3. The boy whose upbringing was described by Jean-Jacques Rousseau.
4. A quantity of no importance.
5. The United Nations agency concerned with the international organization of food and agriculture.
6. A pilgrimage to Mecca.
7. A unit of surface area equal to 100 square meters.
8. (Babylonian) The sky god.
9. A Chadic language spoken south of Lake Chad.
10. An organization of countries formed in 1961 to agree on a common policy for the sale of petroleum.
18. Someone who works (or provides workers) during a strike.
19. A rare silvery (usually trivalent) metallic element.
23. A loose sleeveless outer garment made from aba cloth.
24. An informal term for a father.
25. A bachelor's degree in theology.
27. The blood group whose red cells carry both the A and B antigens.
28. An official prosecutor for a judicial district.
30. A flexible container with a single opening.
32. American professional baseball player who hit more home runs than Babe Ruth (born in 1934).
34. Absent without permission.
35. In or of the present month.
36. A platform raised above the surrounding level to give prominence to the person on it.
38. The highest level or degree attainable.
39. A Chadic language spoken south of Lake Chad.
40. The sixth month of the civil year.
43. Resinlike substance secreted by certain lac insects.
44. Title for a civil or military leader (especially in Turkey).