1. Tag the base runner to get him out.
4. A French abbot.
8. The compass point that is one point south of due east.
11. A flat wing-shaped process or winglike part of an organism.
12. A lyric poet.
13. An enclosed space.
14. Being one more than two.
15. A small nail.
16. Type genus of the family Myacidae.
17. The blood group whose red cells carry both the A and B antigens.
20. A public promotion of some product or service.
21. English theoretical physicist who applied relativity theory to quantum mechanics and predicted the existence of antimatter and the positron (1902-1984).
23. The organ of sight (`peeper' is an informal term for `eye').
25. Metal or plastic sheath over the end of a shoelace or ribbon.
29. A software system that facilitates the creation and maintenance and use of an electronic database.
31. Committee formed by a special-interest group to raise money for their favorite political candidates.
33. (informal) Of the highest quality.
34. A soft silvery metallic element of the alkali earth group.
35. A radioactive element of the actinide series.
37. A logarithmic unit of sound intensity.
39. An intensely radioactive metallic element that occurs in minute amounts in uranium ores.
41. A loose sleeveless outer garment made from aba cloth.
45. The sense organ for hearing and equilibrium.
47. Large burrowing rodent of South and Central America.
50. The 7th letter of the Greek alphabet.
51. The capital of Western Samoa.
52. A master's degree in business.
53. An informal term for a father.
54. Being or occurring in fact or actuality.
55. The network in the reticular formation that serves an alerting or arousal function.
1. Submerged aquatic plant having narrow leaves and small flowers.
2. (law) A defense by an accused person purporting to show that he or she could not have committed the crime in question.
3. The Tibeto-Burman language spoken in the Dali region of Yunnan.
4. The jurisdiction or office of an abbot.
5. An aggressive remark directed at a person like a missile and intended to have a telling effect.
6. (informal) Exceptionally good.
7. A doctor's degree in education.
8. Electronic warfare undertaken under direct control of an operational commander to locate sources of radiated electromagnetic energy for the purpose of immediate threat recognition.
9. Common Indian weaverbird.
10. Any of a number of fishes of the family Carangidae.
18. Conqueror of Gaul and master of Italy (100-44 BC).
19. A humorous anecdote or remark.
22. (British) A waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric.
24. A federal agency established to coordinate programs aimed at reducing pollution and protecting the environment.
26. Resinlike substance secreted by certain lac insects.
27. An international organization of European countries formed after World War II to reduce trade barriers and increase cooperation among its members.
28. A brittle silver-white metalloid element that is related to selenium and sulfur.
30. A unit of information equal to one million (1,048,576) bytes.
32. Any of various spiny trees or shrubs of the genus Acacia.
36. A white metallic element that burns with a brilliant light.
38. A Chadic language spoken south of Lake Chad.
39. The branch of computer science that deal with writing computer programs that can solve problems creatively.
40. South American armadillo with three bands of bony plates.
41. Someone who engages in arbitrage (who purchases securities in one market for immediate resale in another in the hope of profiting from the price differential).
42. Any of numerous local fertility and nature deities worshipped by ancient Semitic peoples.
43. A small cake leavened with yeast.
44. South African term for `boss'.
46. A unit of absorbed ionizing radiation equal to 100 ergs per gram of irradiated material.
48. Any of various primates with short tails or no tail at all.
49. The rate at which heat is produced by an individual in a resting state.