1. Chiefly perennial grasses of cool temperate regions.
4. A small cake leavened with yeast.
8. Not reflecting light.
11. (Judaism) Sacred chest where the ancient Hebrews kept the two tablets containing the Ten Commandments.
12. The capital of Switzerland.
13. Title for a civil or military leader (especially in Turkey).
14. The basic unit of money in Iran.
16. Feline mammal usually having thick soft fur and being unable to roar.
17. The federal agency that insures residential mortgages.
18. Cubes of meat marinated and cooked on a skewer usually with vegetables.
20. (botany) Of or relating to the axil.
23. The deep vascular inner layer of the skin.
25. A substance produced by the hypothalamus that is capable of accelerating the secretion of a given hormone by the anterior pituitary gland.
26. A lipoprotein that transports cholesterol in the blood.
27. An association of people to promote the welfare of senior citizens.
32. Fastener consisting of a resinous composition that is plastic when warm.
35. (prosody) Of or consisting of iambs.
38. Relating to or characteristic of a tribe.
41. A soft silvery metallic element of the alkali earth group.
42. An associate degree in nursing.
43. A resource.
44. A river in north central Switzerland that runs northeast into the Rhine.
47. Any of numerous hairy-bodied insects including social and solitary species.
48. Any of a number of fishes of the family Carangidae.
49. Someone who is morally reprehensible.
1. A kind of heavy jacket (`windcheater' is a British term).
2. A projecting bay window corbeled or cantilevered out from a wall.
3. Jordan's port.
4. A small pellet fired from an air rifle or BB gun.
5. A former agency (from 1946 to 1974) that was responsible for research into atomic energy and its peacetime uses in the United States.
6. (informal) Exceptionally good.
7. (prefix) Opposite or opposing or neutralizing.
8. A Chadic language spoken south of Lake Chad.
9. Title for a civil or military leader (especially in Turkey).
10. An official language of the Republic of South Africa.
15. Soft white semisolid fat obtained by rendering the fatty tissue of the hog v 1.
19. A bachelor's degree in religion.
21. Decapod having eyes on short stalks and a broad flattened carapace with a small abdomen folded under the thorax and pincers.
22. A river in north central Switzerland that runs northeast into the Rhine.
24. Any of a group of antidepressant drugs that inhibit the action of monoamine oxidase in the brain and so allow monoamines to accumulate.
28. A white linen liturgical vestment with sleeves.
29. The blood group whose red cells carry both the A and B antigens.
30. A woody climbing usually tropical plant.
31. (of complexion) Blemished by imperfections of the skin.
33. A member of an Iroquoian people formerly living on the south shore of Lake Erie in northern Ohio and northwest Pennsylvania and western New York.
34. An officer who acts as military assistant to a more senior officer.
36. In bed.
37. Informal terms for a mother.
39. An associate degree in applied science.
40. Resinlike substance secreted by certain lac insects.
41. A soft white precious univalent metallic element having the highest electrical and thermal conductivity of any metal.
45. An intensely radioactive metallic element that occurs in minute amounts in uranium ores.
46. A radioactive element of the actinide series.