1. The part of the nervous system of vertebrates that controls involuntary actions of the smooth muscles and heart and glands.
4. A flexible container with a single opening.
7. Fallow deer.
11. Resinlike substance secreted by certain lac insects.
12. The elementary stages of any subject (usually plural).
13. Highly excited.
14. Title for a civil or military leader (especially in Turkey).
15. The cry made by sheep.
16. A town in western Alaska on the southern coast of the Seward Peninsula.
17. The capital and largest city of Yemen.
21. English theoretical physicist who applied relativity theory to quantum mechanics and predicted the existence of antimatter and the positron (1902-1984).
22. A federal agency established to regulate the release of new foods and health-related products.
25. Attack someone physically or emotionally.
29. (informal) Of very poor quality.
30. 36th President of the United States.
34. A member of the Siouan people formerly living in the Missouri river valley in NE Nebraska.
36. A unit of electrical power in an AC circuit equal to the power dissipated when 1 volt produces a current of 1 ampere.
37. A Chadic language spoken south of Lake Chad.
40. In or of the month preceding the present one.
41. Electronic warfare undertaken to prevent or reduce an enemy's effective use of the electromagnetic spectrum.
42. The sixth month of the civil year.
43. An abnormally large amount of this fetoprotein in the fetus can signal an abnormality of the neural tube (as spina bifida or anencephaly).
1. By bad luck.
2. Kamarupan languages spoken in northeastern India and western Burma.
3. The act of scanning.
4. A small cake leavened with yeast.
5. A loose sleeveless outer garment made from aba cloth.
6. Aircraft landing in bad weather in which the pilot is talked down by ground control using precision approach radar.
7. Fairly small terrestrial ferns of tropical America.
8. 100 agorot equal 1 shekel.
9. God of blame and mockery.
10. A yellow pungent volatile oil (trade name Agene) formerly used for bleaching and aging flour.
18. Small terrestrial lizard of warm regions of the Old World.
19. A unit of dry measure used in Egypt.
20. A radioactive transuranic element.
23. A three-year law degree.
24. (Old Testament) Moses' successor who led the Israelites into the Promised Land.
26. Wood of a sumac.
27. Excessive but superficial compliments given with affected charm.
28. Tropical American tree grown in southern United States having a whitish pink-tinged fruit.
29. A loose sleeveless outer garment made from aba cloth.
31. A colorless and odorless inert gas.
32. Young of domestic cattle.
33. A protocol (utilizing TCP) to transfer hypertext requests and information between servers and browsers.
35. A river in north central Switzerland that runs northeast into the Rhine.
38. A public promotion of some product or service.
39. The syllable naming the fourth (subdominant) note of the diatonic scale in solmization.