1. A French abbot.
5. Considerate and solicitous care.
8. Having undesirable or negative qualities.
11. The actions and activities assigned to or required or expected of a person or group.
12. A unit of length of thread or yarn.
13. An agency of the United Nations affiliated with the World Bank.
14. A flat wing-shaped process or winglike part of an organism.
16. A port city in southwestern Iran.
18. A coffee cake flavored with orange rind and raisins and almonds.
20. An official prosecutor for a judicial district.
21. A doctor's degree in education.
24. According to the Old Testament he was a pagan king of Israel and husband of Jezebel (9th century BC).
30. Mentally or physically infirm with age.
31. A plant hormone promoting elongation of stems and roots.
32. A white linen liturgical vestment with sleeves.
33. A dark-skinned member of a race of people living in Australia when Europeans arrived.
35. A gonadotropic hormone that is secreted by the anterior pituitary.
36. The syllable naming the fourth (subdominant) note of the diatonic scale in solmization.
38. A state-chartered savings bank owned by its depositors and managed by a board of trustees.
40. Light informal conversation for social occasions.
43. A medicinal drug used to evoke vomiting (especially in cases of drug overdose or poisoning).
45. (Akkadian) God of wisdom.
47. A soft silvery metallic element of the alkali earth group.
48. A tight-fitting headdress.
49. An ugly evil-looking old woman.
51. Type genus of the family Arcidae.
53. A constellation in the southern hemisphere near Telescopium and Norma.
54. A loose sleeveless outer garment made from aba cloth.
55. Scottish explorer who led Arctic expeditions that yielded geographic discoveries while searching for the Northwest Passage (1777-1856).
1. An Arabic speaking person who lives in Arabia or North Africa.
2. A cord fastened around the neck with an ornamental clasp and worn as a necktie.
3. Divulge information or secrets.
4. The branch of engineering science that studies the uses of electricity and the equipment for power generation and distribution and the control of machines and communication.
5. A soft gray malleable metallic element that resembles tin but discolors on exposure to air.
6. An accidental hole that allows something (fluid or light etc.) to enter or escape.
7. A compartment in front of a motor vehicle where driver sits.
8. An authoritative direction or instruction to do something.
9. (Babylonian) God of storms and wind.
10. (Irish) Mother of the Tuatha De Danann.
15. An interest followed with exaggerated zeal.
17. Slightly open.
19. Cubes of meat marinated and cooked on a skewer usually with vegetables.
22. Any of numerous local fertility and nature deities worshipped by ancient Semitic peoples.
23. (Irish) Mother of the ancient Irish gods.
25. (astronomy) The angular distance of a celestial point measured westward along the celestial equator from the zenith crossing.
26. Title for a civil or military leader (especially in Turkey).
27. A white metallic element that burns with a brilliant light.
28. A silvery ductile metallic element found primarily in bauxite.
29. 16 ounces.
34. A member of the Siouan people formerly living in the Missouri river valley in NE Nebraska.
35. A soft gray malleable metallic element that resembles tin but discolors on exposure to air.
37. South American armadillo with three bands of bony plates.
38. A workplace for the conduct of scientific research.
39. Someone who works (or provides workers) during a strike.
41. The elementary stages of any subject (usually plural).
42. South African term for `boss'.
44. A federal agency established to coordinate programs aimed at reducing pollution and protecting the environment.
46. A river in north central Switzerland that runs northeast into the Rhine.
50. A rare silvery (usually trivalent) metallic element.
52. An artificial language for international use that rejects rejects all existing words and is based instead on an abstract analysis of ideas.