1. A female person who has the same parents as another person.
4. An informal term for a father.
8. The residue that remains when something is burned.
11. An antiviral drug used in the treatment of AIDS.
12. A Gaelic-speaking Celt in Ireland or Scotland or the Isle of Man.
13. Aircraft landing in bad weather in which the pilot is talked down by ground control using precision approach radar.
14. (Islam) The man who leads prayers in a mosque.
16. A reproach for some lapse or misdeed.
17. Thigh of a hog (usually smoked).
18. English theoretical physicist who applied relativity theory to quantum mechanics and predicted the existence of antimatter and the positron (1902-1984).
20. The face or front of a building.
22. Not straightforward or candid.
24. A white metallic element that burns with a brilliant light.
25. A defensive missile designed to shoot down incoming intercontinental ballistic missiles.
26. The mission in San Antonio where in 1836 Mexican forces under Santa Anna besieged and massacred American rebels who were fighting to make Texas independent of Mexico.
30. The month following January and preceding March.
33. Advanced in years.
34. The elementary stages of any subject (usually plural).
36. A soft silvery metallic element of the alkali earth group.
37. A quantity of no importance.
43. Before noon.
44. A loose sleeveless outer garment made from aba cloth.
47. A room or establishment where alcoholic drinks are served over a counter.
50. The compass point that is one point north of due west.
51. 300 to 3000 megahertz.
52. Someone who works (or provides workers) during a strike.
53. (often followed by `of') A large number or amount or extent.
1. The main city of ancient Phoenicia.
2. A port city in western Turkey.
3. The beginning of anything.
4. 1/10 gram.
5. A river in north central Switzerland that runs northeast into the Rhine.
6. Lacking or deprive of the sense of hearing wholly or in part.
7. Wool of the alpaca.
8. Title for a civil or military leader (especially in Turkey).
9. Any of a number of fishes of the family Carangidae.
10. Stable gear consisting of either of two curved supports that are attached to the collar of a draft horse and that hold the traces.
15. A Chadic language spoken south of Lake Chad.
19. Having three dimensions.
21. West Indian tree having racemes of fragrant white flowers and yielding a durable timber and resinous juice.
23. A unit of luminous flux equal to the amount of light given out through a solid angle of 1 steradian by a point source of 1 candela intensity radiating uniformly in all directions.
27. Title for a civil or military leader (especially in Turkey).
28. A state in New England.
29. A doctor's degree in optometry.
31. Having undesirable or negative qualities.
32. Being one hundred more than three hundred.
35. A flexible container with a single opening.
38. A woman hired to suckle a child of someone else.
39. The Tibeto-Burman language spoken in the Dali region of Yunnan.
40. A metrical unit with unstressed-stressed syllables.
41. A small cake leavened with yeast.
42. An unofficial association of people or groups.
45. The cry made by sheep.
46. A radical labor movement in the United States founded in nd dedicated to the overthrow of capitalism.
47. A public promotion of some product or service.
48. A substance produced by the hypothalamus that is capable of accelerating the secretion of a given hormone by the anterior pituitary gland.
49. An honorary degree in science.