1. Angular distance above the horizon (especially of a celestial object).
4. The United Nations agency concerned with atomic energy.
8. An accountant certified by the state.
11. Mythical bird of prey having enormous size and strength.
12. The act of scanning.
13. A former agency (from 1946 to 1974) that was responsible for research into atomic energy and its peacetime uses in the United States.
14. Hormone released by the hypothalamus that controls the release of thyroid-stimulating hormone from the anterior pituitary.
15. The basic unit of money on Malta.
16. The syllable naming the sixth (submediant) note of a major or minor scale in solmization.
17. Made afraid.
19. A river that rises in central Germany and flows north to join the Elbe River.
21. An informal term for a father.
22. Upright consisting of a vertical side member of a door or window frame.
23. A sharp projection on an edge or surface.
25. A metrical unit with unstressed-stressed syllables.
26. An ancient Hebrew unit of dry measure equal to about a bushel.
29. A loose sleeveless outer garment made from aba cloth.
34. A member of an agricultural people in southeastern India.
37. A Chadic language spoken south of Lake Chad.
38. The state of being decayed or destroyed.
39. Any of various units of capacity.
42. Resinlike substance secreted by certain lac insects.
43. A river in central Italy rising in the Apennines and flowing through Florence and Pisa to the Ligurian Sea.
44. Large brownish-green New Zealand parrot.
45. The residue that remains when something is burned.
46. Kamarupan languages spoken in northeastern India and western Burma.
47. A condition (mostly in boys) characterized by behavioral and learning disorders.
48. A unit of length of thread or yarn.
1. An honorary arts degree.
2. Spanish poet and dramatist (1898-1936).
3. A landlocked desert republic in north-central Africa.
4. A small island.
5. Harsh or corrosive in tone.
6. The sense organ for hearing and equilibrium.
7. Squash bugs.
8. West Indian tree having racemes of fragrant white flowers and yielding a durable timber and resinous juice.
9. A deep prolonged sound (as of thunder or large bells).
10. A dull persistent (usually moderately intense) pain.
18. A Hindu prince or king in India.
20. Type genus of the Amiidae.
24. According to the Old Testament he was a pagan king of Israel and husband of Jezebel (9th century BC).
27. The activity of keeping something secret.
28. A rare silvery (usually trivalent) metallic element.
30. A coffee cake flavored with orange rind and raisins and almonds.
31. Small evergreen shrub of Pacific coast of North America having edible dark purple grape-size berries.
32. Lower in esteem.
33. Russian country house.
35. A sensation (as of a cold breeze or bright light) that precedes the onset of certain disorders such as a migraine attack or epileptic seizure.
36. Small buffalo of the Celebes having small straight horns.
37. An inflammatory disease of connective tissue with variable features including fever and weakness and fatigability and joint pains and skin lesions on the face or neck or arms.
40. A piece of furniture that provides a place to sleep.
41. A boy or man.