1. A crystalline rock that can be cut and polished for jewelry.
4. A detailed description of design criteria for a piece of work.
8. Relating to a recently developed fashion or style.
11. Fermented alcoholic beverage similar to but heavier than beer.
12. A small cake leavened with yeast.
13. A metal-bearing mineral valuable enough to be mined.
14. Any of numerous local fertility and nature deities worshipped by ancient Semitic peoples.
16. A pass between mountain peaks.
17. (meaning literally `born') Used to indicate the maiden or family name of a married woman.
18. A former copper coin of Pakistan.
19. Small tree of dry open parts of southern Africa having erect angled branches suggesting candelabra.
21. Someone who works (or provides workers) during a strike.
24. A piece of furniture that provides a place to sleep.
25. A logarithmic unit of sound intensity.
27. (Greek mythology) Goddess of the earth and mother of Cronus and the Titans in ancient mythology.
30. An archaic name for Easter or Passover.
34. A loose sleeveless outer garment made from aba cloth.
35. A small pellet fired from an air rifle or BB gun.
36. The Tibeto-Burman language spoken in the Dali region of Yunnan.
39. Open-heart surgery in which the rib cage is opened and a section of a blood vessel is grafted from the aorta to the coronary artery to bypass the blocked section of the coronary artery and improve the blood supply to the heart.
43. An ester of adenosine that is converted to ATP for energy storage.
46. A plant hormone promoting elongation of stems and roots.
47. A unit of length of thread or yarn.
48. A river in north central Switzerland that runs northeast into the Rhine.
50. A hotel providing overnight lodging for travelers.
51. The federal agency that insures residential mortgages.
52. A network of intersecting blood vessels or intersecting nerves or intersecting lymph vessels.
53. A soft silvery metallic element of the alkali earth group.
1. An amino acid that is found in the central nervous system.
2. A feeling of strong eagerness (usually in favor of a person or cause).
3. How a result is obtained or an end is achieved.
4. A metallic element having four allotropic forms.
5. Committee formed by a special-interest group to raise money for their favorite political candidates.
6. Very dark black.
7. West Indian tree having racemes of fragrant white flowers and yielding a durable timber and resinous juice.
8. French biochemist who (with Francois Jacob) explained how genes are activated and suggested the existence of messenger RNA (1910-1976).
9. Chocolate cookie with white cream filling.
10. Keep in mind or convey as a conviction or view.
15. Resinlike substance secreted by certain lac insects.
20. A light strong brittle gray toxic bivalent metallic element.
22. Title for a civil or military leader (especially in Turkey).
23. The cry made by sheep.
26. A soft silvery metallic element of the alkali earth group.
28. A radioactive element of the actinide series.
29. An official prosecutor for a judicial district.
31. An island in the southern Mariana Islands that is the administrative center of the United States Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands.
32. Counting the number of white and red blood cells and the number of platelets in 1 cubic millimeter of blood.
33. The elementary stages of any subject (usually plural).
37. Chief port of Yemen.
38. Large elliptical brightly colored deep-sea fish of Atlantic and Pacific and Mediterranean.
40. An officer who acts as military assistant to a more senior officer.
41. Anything that serves as an enticement.
42. A door-like movable barrier in a fence or wall.
44. An awkward stupid person.
45. A period marked by distinctive character or reckoned from a fixed point or event.
46. A workplace for the conduct of scientific research.
49. A colorless and odorless inert gas.
50. A doctor's degree in optometry.