1. The elementary stages of any subject (usually plural).
5. 16 ounces.
7. A wine bottle made of leather.
11. A member of an extinct North American Indian people who lived in the Pit river valley in northern California.
12. A white metallic element that burns with a brilliant light.
13. South American armadillo with three bands of bony plates.
14. Essential oil or perfume obtained from flowers.
15. A logarithmic unit of sound intensity.
16. (Greek mythology) The goddess of youth and spring.
17. An accidental happening.
19. Any of various spiny trees or shrubs of the genus Acacia.
23. A very poisonous metallic element that has three allotropic forms.
24. Large high frilly cap with a full crown.
27. (folklore) A corpse that rises at night to drink the blood of the living.
31. A French abbot.
32. A federal agency established to coordinate programs aimed at reducing pollution and protecting the environment.
34. Resinlike substance secreted by certain lac insects.
35. A compartment in front of a motor vehicle where driver sits.
36. Before noon.
38. Being nine more than ninety.
40. The blood group whose red cells carry both the A and B antigens.
44. A deep bow.
47. Type genus of the Alcidae comprising solely the razorbill.
49. An independent agency of the United States government responsible for collecting and coordinating intelligence and counterintelligence activities abroad in the national interest.
50. Port city in northwestern Belgium and industrial center.
53. Being one more than two.
54. An ugly evil-looking old woman.
55. Electronic warfare undertaken to insure effective friendly use of the electromagnetic spectrum in spite of the enemy's use of electronic warfare.
56. An agency of the United Nations affiliated with the World Bank.
1. An Indian nursemaid who looks after children.
2. A Chadic language spoken south of Lake Chad.
3. A boy or man.
4. Term of address for a man.
5. A digital display that uses liquid crystal cells that change reflectivity in an applied electric field.
6. A small cake leavened with yeast.
7. The dialect of Malay used as the national language of the Republic of Indonesia or of Malaysia.
8. An organization of countries formed in 1961 to agree on a common policy for the sale of petroleum.
9. A sock with a separation for the big toe.
10. A particular geographical region of indefinite boundary (usually serving some special purpose or distinguished by its people or culture or geography).
18. The cry made by sheep.
20. West Indian tree having racemes of fragrant white flowers and yielding a durable timber and resinous juice.
21. Apathy and inactivity in the practice of virtue (personified as one of the deadly sins).
22. A detailed description of design criteria for a piece of work.
25. A Russian river.
26. A small pellet fired from an air rifle or BB gun.
28. A master's degree in library science.
29. A state in midwestern United States.
30. A radioactive element of the actinide series.
33. An informal term for a father.
37. Type genus of the Majidae.
38. An accidental happening.
39. An enclosure made or wire or metal bars in which birds or animals are kept.
40. Being one hundred more than three hundred.
41. A soft silvery metallic element of the alkali earth group.
42. Harsh or corrosive in tone.
43. (Greek mythology) Goddess of the earth and mother of Cronus and the Titans in ancient mythology.
45. The act of slowing down or falling behind.
46. (British) A waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric.
47. A soft silvery metallic element of the alkali earth group.
48. Being two more than fifty.
49. A heavy brittle diamagnetic trivalent metallic element (resembles arsenic and antimony chemically).
51. A state in southeastern United States.
52. Diabetes caused by a relative or absolute deficiency of insulin and characterized by polyuria.