1. A diagram or picture illustrating textual material.
4. A Tibetan or Mongolian priest of Lamaism.
8. Nut of any of several trees of the genus Corylus.
11. North American republic containing 50 states - 48 conterminous states in North America plus Alaska in northwest North America and the Hawaiian Islands in the Pacific Ocean.
12. Type genus of the Anatidae.
13. Any of various primates with short tails or no tail at all.
14. The capital and largest city of Equatorial Guinea on the island of Bioko in the Gulf of Guinea.
17. (Akkadian) God of wisdom.
18. Divulge information or secrets.
20. United States writer (born in Poland) who wrote in Yiddish (1880-1957).
21. A device (trade name Aqua-Lung) that lets divers breathe under water.
23. Type genus of the Alcidae comprising solely the razorbill.
24. Cubes of meat marinated and cooked on a skewer usually with vegetables.
26. (sports) The chief official (as in boxing or American football) who is expected to ensure fair play.
27. The compass point that is one point east (clockwise) of due north.
28. The Tibeto-Burman language spoken in the Dali region of Yunnan.
33. The United Nations agency concerned with atomic energy.
38. Someone who works (or provides workers) during a strike.
40. A flat wing-shaped process or winglike part of an organism.
41. The bureau of the Treasury Department responsible for tax collections.
43. Cooking utensil consisting of a wide metal vessel.
44. The seat within a bishop's diocese where his cathedral is located adv.
45. Block consisting of a thick piece of something.
46. (Irish) Mother of the ancient Irish gods.
1. Gases ejected from an engine as waste products.
2. (Old Testament) The second patriarch.
3. United States liquid unit equal to 4 quarts or 3.785 liters.
4. 1 species.
5. Small buffalo of the Celebes having small straight horns.
6. Informal terms for a mother.
7. A very poisonous metallic element that has three allotropic forms.
8. Conqueror of Gaul and master of Italy (100-44 BC).
9. An organization of countries formed in 1961 to agree on a common policy for the sale of petroleum.
10. The 2nd letter of the Hebrew alphabet.
15. A French abbot.
16. (British) A waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric.
19. A small cake leavened with yeast.
22. (Hawaiian) A small guitar having four strings.
25. A loose sleeveless outer garment made from aba cloth.
29. Extremely pleasing.
30. (Babylonian) A demigod or first man.
31. A mountain peak in the Andes in Argentina (21,654 feet high).
32. A city in southern Turkey on the Seyhan River.
34. A unit of area (4840 square yards) used in English-speaking countries.
35. Freedom from difficulty or hardship or effort.
36. A Chadic language spoken south of Lake Chad.
37. According to the Old Testament he was a pagan king of Israel and husband of Jezebel (9th century BC).
39. A metric unit of volume or capacity equal to 10 liters.
42. An honorary degree in science.