1. The compass point midway between south and southeast.
4. A signal transmitted along a narrow path.
8. The compass point that is one point south of due east.
11. A rotating disk shaped to convert circular into linear motion.
12. Title for a civil or military leader (especially in Turkey).
13. (British) A waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric.
14. A soft white precious univalent metallic element having the highest electrical and thermal conductivity of any metal.
16. A reptile genus of Iguanidae.
17. An informal term for a father.
19. Having undesirable or negative qualities.
20. Before noon.
21. In bed.
25. A radioactive element of the actinide series.
27. Pasture grass of plains of South America and western North America.
29. A unit of absorbed ionizing radiation equal to 100 ergs per gram of irradiated material.
32. Resinlike substance secreted by certain lac insects.
34. A soft silvery metallic element of the alkali earth group.
36. The blood group whose red cells carry both the A and B antigens.
38. A public promotion of some product or service.
39. Date used in reckoning dates before the supposed year Christ was born.
40. Cubes of meat marinated and cooked on a skewer usually with vegetables.
42. A Tibetan or Mongolian priest of Lamaism.
45. (botany) Of or relating to the axil.
49. The branch of computer science that deal with writing computer programs that can solve problems creatively.
50. An adult male person (as opposed to a woman).
53. (Irish) Mother of the ancient Irish gods.
54. Any of numerous local fertility and nature deities worshipped by ancient Semitic peoples.
55. A unit of surface area equal to 100 square meters.
1. Any of a number of fishes of the family Carangidae.
2. An narrative telling the adventures of a hero or a family.
3. The square of a body of any size of type.
4. The Tibeto-Burman language spoken in the Dali region of Yunnan.
5. Animal reproductive body consisting of an ovum or embryo together with nutritive and protective envelopes.
6. According to the Old Testament he was a pagan king of Israel and husband of Jezebel (9th century BC).
7. A percussion instrument consisting of a pair of hollow pieces of wood or bone (usually held between the thumb and fingers) that are made to click together (as by Spanish dancers) in rhythm with the dance.
8. Any of various systems of units for measuring electricity and magnetism.
9. A Chadic language spoken south of Lake Chad.
10. A fraudulent business scheme.
15. Open-heart surgery in which the rib cage is opened and a section of a blood vessel is grafted from the aorta to the coronary artery to bypass the blocked section of the coronary artery and improve the blood supply to the heart.
18. An official prosecutor for a judicial district.
22. A trivalent metallic element of the rare earth group.
23. A Chadic language spoken south of Lake Chad.
24. Any plant of the genus Erica.
26. A white metallic element that burns with a brilliant light.
28. (informal) Roused to anger.
30. A state in northwestern North America.
31. A Mid-Atlantic state.
33. A small tent used as a dressing room beside the sea or a swimming pool.
35. Any of various units of capacity.
37. A room or establishment where alcoholic drinks are served over a counter.
41. A feeling of strong eagerness (usually in favor of a person or cause).
43. A flat-bottomed volcanic crater that was formed by an explosion.
44. An officer who acts as military assistant to a more senior officer.
46. The cry made by sheep.
47. A loose sleeveless outer garment made from aba cloth.
48. United States liquid unit equal to 4 quarts or 3.785 liters.
51. A small pellet fired from an air rifle or BB gun.
52. The syllable naming the fourth (subdominant) note of the diatonic scale in solmization.