1. Tropical starchy tuberous root.
5. The elementary stages of any subject (usually plural).
8. A period of time spent sleeping.
11. The basic unit of money in China.
12. Sandwich filled with slices of bacon and tomato with lettuce.
13. Aromatic bulb used as seasoning.
14. Large antelope with lightly spiraled horns of desert regions of North Africa.
17. Relating to or characteristic of or occurring on the sea or ships.
18. When dried yields a hard substance used e.g. in golf balls.
22. Having undesirable or negative qualities.
23. A software system that facilitates the creation and maintenance and use of an electronic database.
25. The cry made by sheep.
29. (of complexion) Blemished by imperfections of the skin.
32. Russian country house.
34. The syllable naming the fourth (subdominant) note of the diatonic scale in solmization.
35. The eleventh month of the civil year.
36. A soft silvery metallic element of the alkali earth group.
38. A Hindu prince or king in India.
42. Fabric dyed with splotches of green and brown and black and tan.
45. The act of slowing down or falling behind.
47. 10 grams.
48. Of or relating to or characteristic of the Republic of Chad or its people or language.
49. A ductile gray metallic element of the lanthanide series.
51. An officer who acts as military assistant to a more senior officer.
52. A radioactive element of the actinide series.
53. The sixth month of the civil year.
54. A soft silvery metallic element of the alkali earth group.
1. An unfledged or nestling hawk.
2. A man who is much concerned with his dress and appearance.
3. An informal term for a father.
4. (Irish) Mother of the ancient Irish gods.
5. The blood group whose red cells carry both the A and B antigens.
6. (pathology) An elevation of the skin filled with serous fluid.
7. A New England state.
8. Submerged aquatic plant having narrow leaves and small flowers.
9. Channel into a new direction.
10. Humble request for help.
15. Being one more than ninety.
16. A flat wing-shaped process or winglike part of an organism.
19. A loose sleeveless outer garment made from aba cloth.
20. United States writer (born in Poland) who wrote in Yiddish (1880-1957).
21. The compass point that is one point east (clockwise) of due north.
24. (British) A waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric.
26. A public promotion of some product or service.
27. An official prosecutor for a judicial district.
28. A small pellet fired from an air rifle or BB gun.
30. Tag the base runner to get him out.
31. A river in north central Switzerland that runs northeast into the Rhine.
33. A genus of Indriidae.
34. An informal term for a father.
37. Type genus of the Alcidae comprising solely the razorbill.
39. (Babylonian) God of storms and wind.
40. An island in Indonesia south of Borneo.
41. Any culture medium that uses agar as the gelling agent.
43. (informal) Roused to anger.
44. A lyric poem with complex stanza forms.
46. A former agency (from 1946 to 1974) that was responsible for research into atomic energy and its peacetime uses in the United States.
50. Unknown god.
51. A public promotion of some product or service.