1. The sign language used in the United States.
4. (military) Signal to turn the lights out.
8. A dark-skinned member of a race of people living in Australia when Europeans arrived.
11. Aircraft landing in bad weather in which the pilot is talked down by ground control using precision approach radar.
12. Fertility goddess in ancient Greek mythology.
13. The upper side of the thighs of a seated person.
14. An ugly evil-looking old woman.
15. United States educator who introduced reforms that significantly altered the system of public education (1796-1859).
16. The compass point that is one point east of due south.
17. A public promotion of some product or service.
19. South African term for `boss'.
21. A radioactive element of the actinide series.
24. Resinlike substance secreted by certain lac insects.
25. The cardinal number that is the sum of eight and one.
26. The elementary stages of any subject (usually plural).
27. A river in north central Switzerland that runs northeast into the Rhine.
30. (computer science) A kind of computer architecture that has a large number of instructions hard coded into the cpu chip.
32. Extremely pleasing.
35. The blood group whose red cells carry both the A and B antigens.
36. 1 species.
39. A committee in the executive branch of government that advises the president on foreign and military and national security.
43. The United Nations agency concerned with atomic energy.
44. (used as a combining form) Recent or new.
45. One of the most common of the five major classes of immunoglobulins.
46. Portuguese explorer who in 1488 was the first European to get round the Cape of Good Hope (thus establishing a sea route from the Atlantic to Asia) (1450-1500).
47. The part of the nervous system of vertebrates that controls involuntary actions of the smooth muscles and heart and glands.
48. (British) A waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric.
49. An inflammatory disease involving the sebaceous glands of the skin.
1. Title for a civil or military leader (especially in Turkey).
2. Any of a number of fishes of the family Carangidae.
3. The act of slowing down or falling behind.
4. The universal time coordinated time when a transmission is sent from Earth to a spacecraft or other celestial body.
5. According to the Old Testament he was a pagan king of Israel and husband of Jezebel (9th century BC).
6. Of or relating to punishment.
7. The capital and largest city of Yemen.
8. Thickening of tissue in the motor tracts of the lateral columns and anterior horns of the spinal cord.
9. A small cake leavened with yeast.
10. An organization of countries formed in 1961 to agree on a common policy for the sale of petroleum.
18. Form or weave into a braid or braids.
20. Someone who works (or provides workers) during a strike.
22. Type genus of the Anatidae.
23. A room or establishment where alcoholic drinks are served over a counter.
28. A high-crowned black cap (usually made of felt or sheepskin) worn by men in Turkey and Iran and the Caucasus.
29. A loose sleeveless outer garment made from aba cloth.
31. Realistic Norwegian author who wrote plays on social and political themes (1828-1906).
32. The act of slowing down or falling behind.
33. A formal expression of praise.
34. Lower in esteem.
37. The capital and chief port of Qatar.
38. Concerning those not members of the clergy.
39. A loose sleeveless outer garment made from aba cloth.
40. Ratio of the adjacent side to the hypotenuse.
41. Game in which matchsticks are arranged in rows and players alternately remove one or more of them.
42. Title for a civil or military leader (especially in Turkey).