1. A French abbot.
5. A rotating disk shaped to convert circular into linear motion.
8. Thickening of tissue in the motor tracts of the lateral columns and anterior horns of the spinal cord.
11. South African term for `boss'.
12. A constellation in the southern hemisphere near Telescopium and Norma.
13. (British) A waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric.
14. A harp used by ancient Greeks for accompaniment.
15. Any of numerous local fertility and nature deities worshipped by ancient Semitic peoples.
17. Informal terms for a mother.
18. Take in solid food.
20. An undergarment worn by women to support their breasts.
21. A public promotion of some product or service.
24. A radioactive transuranic element.
25. A small cake leavened with yeast.
28. A light touch or stroke.
31. A Mid-Atlantic state.
32. Divulge information or secrets.
33. Someone who works (or provides workers) during a strike.
35. A Kwa language spoken by the Yoruba people in southwestern Nigeria.
37. A kind of heavy jacket (`windcheater' is a British term).
41. The blood group whose red cells carry both the A and B antigens.
43. A white linen liturgical vestment with sleeves.
44. Plant having a large slender white bulb and flat overlapping dark green leaves.
45. The airforce of Great Britain.
49. The 7th letter of the Greek alphabet.
50. The elementary stages of any subject (usually plural).
52. The bill in a restaurant.
53. A river in north central Switzerland that runs northeast into the Rhine.
54. Framework for holding objects.
55. A loose sleeveless outer garment made from aba cloth.
1. (usually followed by `to') Having the necessary means or skill or know-how or authority to do something.
2. Common Indian weaverbird.
3. A member of the British order of honor.
4. The compass point midway between east and southeast.
5. A compartment in front of a motor vehicle where driver sits.
6. An Arabic speaking person who lives in Arabia or North Africa.
7. A flat-bottomed volcanic crater that was formed by an explosion.
8. Before noon.
9. A Tibetan or Mongolian priest of Lamaism.
10. Any of a number of fishes of the family Carangidae.
16. Resinlike substance secreted by certain lac insects.
19. A white metallic element that burns with a brilliant light.
22. A coffee cake flavored with orange rind and raisins and almonds.
23. A doctor's degree in dental surgery.
26. A silvery ductile metallic element found primarily in bauxite.
27. The cry made by sheep.
29. A radioactive element of the actinide series.
30. (Scotland) A small loaf or roll of soft bread.
34. Round object that is hit or thrown or kicked in games.
36. Relating to or near the ulna.
37. A compartment in front of a motor vehicle where driver sits.
38. A long noosed rope used to catch animals.
39. Cubes of meat marinated and cooked on a skewer usually with vegetables.
40. Jordan's port.
42. A Chadic language spoken south of Lake Chad.
43. The products of human creativity.
46. At a great distance in time or space or degree.
47. Being one hundred more than two hundred.
48. Inquire about.
51. A soft silvery metallic element of the alkali earth group.