1. Angular distance above the horizon (especially of a celestial object).
4. An inn in some Eastern countries with a large courtyard that provides accommodation for caravans.
8. Tastelessness by virtue of being cheap and vulgar.
11. Step on it.
12. Flightless New Zealand rail of thievish disposition having short wings each with a spur used in fighting.
13. A constellation in the southern hemisphere near Telescopium and Norma.
14. A river in north central Switzerland that runs northeast into the Rhine.
15. Distant in either space or time.
16. Large brownish-green New Zealand parrot.
17. (informal) Exceptionally good.
20. An esoteric or occult matter that is traditionally secret.
23. An esoteric or occult matter that is traditionally secret.
26. United States newspaper publisher (1858-1935).
30. (Irish) Mother of the ancient Irish gods.
31. Title for a civil or military leader (especially in Turkey).
33. A very young child (birth to 1 year) who has not yet begun to walk or talk.
35. An accountant certified by the state.
37. A pale rose-colored variety of the ruby spinel.
41. Lower in esteem.
45. How long something has existed.
46. One of a set of small pieces of stiff paper marked in various ways and used for playing games or for telling fortunes.
49. A unit of absorbed ionizing radiation equal to 100 ergs per gram of irradiated material.
50. An independent agency of the United States government responsible for collecting and coordinating intelligence and counterintelligence activities abroad in the national interest.
51. In bed.
52. Goddess of fate.
53. An open box attached to a long pole handle.
54. A small cake leavened with yeast.
55. An agency of the United Nations affiliated with the World Bank.
1. According to the Old Testament he was a pagan king of Israel and husband of Jezebel (9th century BC).
2. A person who has lied or who lies repeatedly.
3. A three-tone Chadic language.
4. A group of African language in the Niger-Congo group spoken from the Ivory Coast east to Nigeria.
5. Make or shape as with an axe.
6. Jordan's port.
7. A negative.
8. The basic unit of money in Bangladesh.
9. A particular geographical region of indefinite boundary (usually serving some special purpose or distinguished by its people or culture or geography).
10. An official language of the Republic of South Africa.
18. Aircraft landing in bad weather in which the pilot is talked down by ground control using precision approach radar.
19. African tree having an exceedingly thick trunk and fruit that resembles a gourd and has an edible pulp called monkey bread.
21. A flat wing-shaped process or winglike part of an organism.
22. A flexible container with a single opening.
24. An associate degree in nursing.
25. A soft silvery metallic element of the alkali earth group.
27. A white metallic element that burns with a brilliant light.
28. A hemoprotein composed of globin and heme that gives red blood cells their characteristic color.
29. A toxic nonmetallic element related to sulfur and tellurium.
32. A radioactive element of the actinide series.
34. An official prosecutor for a judicial district.
36. A genus of Ploceidae.
38. A fee charged for exchanging currencies.
39. A soft heavy toxic malleable metallic element.
40. Someone who works (or provides workers) during a strike.
41. Military action involving the use of electromagnetic energy to determine or exploit or reduce or prevent hostile use of the electromagnetic spectrum.
42. Wild sheep of northern Africa.
43. A deep orange-red variety of chalcedony.
44. Tropical starchy tuberous root.
47. A loose sleeveless outer garment made from aba cloth.
48. (informal) `johnny' was applied as a nickname for Confederate soldiers by the Federal soldiers in the American Civil War.