1. Tough protective covering of the woody stems and roots of trees and other woody plants.
5. The elementary stages of any subject (usually plural).
8. A federally chartered savings bank.
11. Any character from an ancient Germanic alphabet used in Scandinavia from the 3rd century to the Middle Ages.
12. A column of light (as from a beacon).
13. South American wood sorrel cultivated for its edible tubers.
14. An Arabic speaking person who lives in Arabia or North Africa.
15. Measure of the US economy adopted in 1991.
16. Light informal conversation for social occasions.
17. A rare silvery (usually trivalent) metallic element.
18. On a ship, train, plane or other vehicle.
21. A soft silvery metallic element of the alkali earth group.
22. Fleshy spore-bearing inner mass of e.g. a puffball or stinkhorn.
24. Wild or seedling sweet cherry used as stock for grafting.
26. Aircraft landing in bad weather in which the pilot is talked down by ground control using precision approach radar.
28. A federation of North American labor unions that merged with the Congress of Industrial Organizations in 1955.
31. English monk and scholar (672-735).
35. A river in north central Switzerland that runs northeast into the Rhine.
36. The blood group whose red cells carry both the A and B antigens.
37. (astronomy) The angular distance of a celestial point measured westward along the celestial equator from the zenith crossing.
43. Not only so, but.
46. A coenzyme derived from the B vitamin nicotinic acid.
47. An easy return of a tennis ball in a high arc.
49. Rare (usually fatal) brain disease (usually in middle age) caused by an unidentified slow virus.
50. (Irish) Mother of the ancient Irish gods.
51. A very young child (birth to 1 year) who has not yet begun to walk or talk.
52. 10 hao equal 1 dong.
1. Confederate general during the American Civil War who was defeated by Grant in the battle of Chattanooga (1817-1876).
2. Of or pertaining to hearing or the ear.
3. A nucleic acid that transmits genetic information from DNA to the cytoplasm.
4. Cubes of meat marinated and cooked on a skewer usually with vegetables.
5. Formerly a large constellation in the southern hemisphere between Canis Major and the Southern Cross.
6. A member of an agricultural people of southern India.
7. Large tropical American tree of the genus Cordia grown for its abundant creamy white flowers and valuable wood.
8. Droplets of water vapor suspended in the air near the ground.
9. Someone who works (or provides workers) during a strike.
10. A small cake leavened with yeast.
19. A flexible container with a single opening.
20. An official prosecutor for a judicial district.
23. Tropical starchy tuberous root.
25. Tag the base runner to get him out.
27. A radioactive transuranic element.
29. The syllable naming the fourth (subdominant) note of the diatonic scale in solmization.
30. A gonadotropic hormone that is secreted by the anterior pituitary.
32. (used of count nouns) Every one considered individually.
33. A seat for the rider of a horse.
34. A defensive missile designed to shoot down incoming intercontinental ballistic missiles.
38. (in Gnosticism) A divine power or nature emanating from the Supreme Being and playing various roles in the operation of the universe.
39. According to the Old Testament he was a pagan king of Israel and husband of Jezebel (9th century BC).
40. A unit of length (in United States and Britain) equal to one twelfth of a foot.
41. A Hindu prince or king in India.
42. Edible starchy tuberous root of taro plants.
44. A loose sleeveless outer garment made from aba cloth.
45. Seed of a pea plant.
46. 10 grams.
48. A logarithmic unit of sound intensity.