1. The elementary stages of any subject (usually plural).
4. A federal agency established to regulate the release of new foods and health-related products.
7. A hardy cabbage with coarse curly leaves that do not form a head.
11. The longer of the two telegraphic signals used in Morse code.
12. A river in north central Switzerland that runs northeast into the Rhine.
13. Type genus of the Alcidae comprising solely the razorbill.
14. An Arabic speaking person who lives in Arabia or North Africa.
17. English theoretical physicist who applied relativity theory to quantum mechanics and predicted the existence of antimatter and the positron (1902-1984).
19. A doctor's degree in optometry.
22. Singing jazz.
25. A loose sleeveless outer garment made from aba cloth.
26. Someone who engages in arbitrage (who purchases securities in one market for immediate resale in another in the hope of profiting from the price differential).
29. A flexible container with a single opening.
31. A public promotion of some product or service.
32. A plant hormone promoting elongation of stems and roots.
34. The seventh month of the Moslem calendar.
40. (Old Testament) In Judeo-Christian mythology.
44. A room equipped with toilet facilities.
46. A master's degree in business.
47. A period marked by distinctive character or reckoned from a fixed point or event.
48. An official language of the Republic of South Africa.
49. The network in the reticular formation that serves an alerting or arousal function.
50. A logarithmic unit of sound intensity.
1. (Babylonian) God of storms and wind.
2. Capital city of the Apulia region on the Adriatic coast.
3. A human female who does housework.
4. The syllable naming the fourth (subdominant) note of the diatonic scale in solmization.
5. 10 grams.
6. A colorless and odorless inert gas.
7. A river of southwestern Africa that rises in central Angola and flows east and then north (forming part of the border between Angola and Congo) and continuing northwest through Congo to empty into the Congo River on the border between Congo and Republic of the Congo.
8. American prizefighter who won the world heavyweight championship three times (born in 1942).
9. The United Nations agency concerned with civil aviation.
10. Relating to or characteristic of or occurring on land.
15. The basic unit of money in Thailand.
16. The cardinal number that is the sum of five and one.
18. Cubes of meat marinated and cooked on a skewer usually with vegetables.
20. A white soft metallic element that tarnishes readily.
21. Being the one previously mentioned or spoken of.
23. A white metallic element that burns with a brilliant light.
24. A soft white precious univalent metallic element having the highest electrical and thermal conductivity of any metal.
27. An intensely radioactive metallic element that occurs in minute amounts in uranium ores.
28. A soft silvery metallic element of the alkali earth group.
30. Extremely pleasing.
33. A barrier constructed to contain the flow or water or to keep out the sea.
35. The sixth month of the civil year.
36. An island in Indonesia south of Borneo.
37. Any of numerous local fertility and nature deities worshipped by ancient Semitic peoples.
38. A small cake leavened with yeast.
39. South African term for `boss'.
41. A benevolent aspect of Devi.
42. An independent agency of the United States government responsible for collecting and coordinating intelligence and counterintelligence activities abroad in the national interest.
43. The rate at which heat is produced by an individual in a resting state.
45. A highly unstable radioactive element (the heaviest of the halogen series).