1. Cut off from a whole.
4. Leaf or strip from a leaf of the talipot palm used in India for writing paper.
8. A constellation in the southern hemisphere near Telescopium and Norma.
11. A Turkish unit of weight equal to about 2.75 pounds.
12. Sew up the eyelids of hawks and falcons.
13. The longer of the two telegraphic signals used in Morse code.
14. Bulky grayish-brown eagle with a short wedge-shaped white tail.
15. King of Denmark and Norway who forced Edmund II to divide England with him.
16. A nucleic acid consisting of large molecules shaped like a double helix.
17. Capital and largest city of Iraq.
20. The blood group whose red cells carry both the A and B antigens.
21. A British peer ranking below a Marquess and above a Viscount.
24. Someone who works (or provides workers) during a strike.
27. A soft silvery metallic element of the alkali earth group.
33. A particular geographical region of indefinite boundary (usually serving some special purpose or distinguished by its people or culture or geography).
38. A small cake leavened with yeast.
41. A loose sleeveless outer garment made from aba cloth.
42. Electronic equipment that provides visual images of varying electrical quantities.
44. A wooden pin pushed or driven into a surface.
45. A fractional monetary unit of Japan and Indonesia and Cambodia.
46. A Chadic language spoken south of Lake Chad.
47. Fermented alcoholic beverage similar to but heavier than beer.
1. United States physiologist (born in Germany) who did research on parthenogenesis (1859-1924).
2. Long green edible beaked pods of the okra plant.
3. (plate tectonic theory) A hypothetical continent including all the landmass of the earth prior to the Triassic period when it split into Laurasia and Gondwanaland.
4. An annual award by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences for achievements in motion picture production and performance.
5. United States tennis player (born in Czechoslovakia) who won several singles championships.
6. The basic unit of money in Romania.
7. Angular distance above the horizon (especially of a celestial object).
8. A condition (mostly in boys) characterized by behavioral and learning disorders.
9. Type genus of the Ranidae.
10. According to the Old Testament he was a pagan king of Israel and husband of Jezebel (9th century BC).
18. A light touch or stroke.
19. Mentally or physically infirm with age.
22. Airtight sealed metal container for food or drink or paint etc..
23. A nonmetallic largely pentavalent heavy volatile corrosive dark brown liquid element belonging to the halogens.
25. A white metallic element that burns with a brilliant light.
26. An angular shape characterized by sharp turns in alternating directions.
28. A colorless and odorless inert gas.
29. An official prosecutor for a judicial district.
30. The cry made by sheep.
31. Used by northerners of Confederate soldiers.
32. A condensed but memorable saying embodying some important fact of experience that is taken as true by many people.
34. Not widely known.
35. Very dark black.
36. Type genus of the Alcidae comprising solely the razorbill.
37. Plant with an elongated head of broad stalked leaves resembling celery.
38. (Irish) Mother of the ancient Irish gods.
39. A federal agency established to coordinate programs aimed at reducing pollution and protecting the environment.
40. A serve that strikes the net before falling into the receiver's court.
43. A Russian river.
44. A metric unit of volume equal to one tenth of a liter.