1. A federal agency established to regulate the release of new foods and health-related products.
4. The elementary stages of any subject (usually plural).
7. Lacking in liveliness or charm or surprise.
11. Flower arrangement consisting of a circular band of foliage or flowers for ornamental purposes.
12. Light informal conversation for social occasions.
13. The basic unit of money in Ethiopia.
14. The sense organ for hearing and equilibrium.
15. Any of several white wines from the Rhine River valley in Germany (`hock' is British usage).
16. Aircraft landing in bad weather in which the pilot is talked down by ground control using precision approach radar.
17. A silvery ductile metallic element found primarily in bauxite.
20. A soft white precious univalent metallic element having the highest electrical and thermal conductivity of any metal.
22. The blood group whose red cells carry both the A and B antigens.
24. A plant hormone promoting elongation of stems and roots.
27. (Greek mythology) Goddess of the earth and mother of Cronus and the Titans in ancient mythology.
31. Jordan's port.
33. A radioactive element of the actinide series.
35. An anxiety disorder characterized by chronic free-floating anxiety and such symptoms as tension or sweating or trembling of light-headedness or irritability etc that has lasted for more than six months.
36. A colorless and odorless inert gas.
37. A Tibetan or Mongolian priest of Lamaism.
39. A Chadic language spoken south of Lake Chad.
42. An official prosecutor for a judicial district.
45. By bad luck.
48. Open-heart surgery in which the rib cage is opened and a section of a blood vessel is grafted from the aorta to the coronary artery to bypass the blocked section of the coronary artery and improve the blood supply to the heart.
50. Fiddler crabs.
53. Not in good physical or mental health.
54. A metric unit of volume or capacity equal to 10 liters.
55. (Babylonian) God of storms and wind.
56. The basic unit of money in Romania.
1. Any wingless blood-sucking parasitic insect noted for ability to leap.
2. Made of fir or pine.
3. Relating to or characteristic of or occurring in the air.
4. Title for a civil or military leader (especially in Turkey).
5. African tree having an exceedingly thick trunk and fruit that resembles a gourd and has an edible pulp called monkey bread.
6. Counting the number of white and red blood cells and the number of platelets in 1 cubic millimeter of blood.
7. A logarithmic unit of sound intensity.
8. Gear (including necessary machinery) for a particular enterprise.
9. Type genus of the family Arcidae.
10. (informal) Exceptionally good.
18. A white metallic element that burns with a brilliant light.
19. A graphical recording of the cardiac cycle produced by an electrocardiograph.
21. The cry made by sheep.
23. Any of numerous local fertility and nature deities worshipped by ancient Semitic peoples.
25. A state in northwestern North America.
26. A river in north central Switzerland that runs northeast into the Rhine.
28. Title for a civil or military leader (especially in Turkey).
29. (Akkadian) God of wisdom.
30. A public promotion of some product or service.
32. South African term for `boss'.
34. Someone who is morally reprehensible.
38. (British) A waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric.
40. Type genus of the Alcidae comprising solely the razorbill.
41. An official language of the Republic of South Africa.
43. (usually followed by `to') Having the necessary means or skill or know-how or authority to do something.
44. An Eskimo hut.
46. An interest followed with exaggerated zeal.
47. A flat wing-shaped process or winglike part of an organism.
49. Aromatic bulb used as seasoning.
50. A white metallic element that burns with a brilliant light.
51. A hard gray lustrous metallic element that is highly corrosion-resistant.
52. Being one hundred more than three hundred.