1. Nocturnal mouselike mammal with forelimbs modified to form membranous wings and anatomical adaptations for echolocation by which they navigate.
4. Plant with an elongated head of broad stalked leaves resembling celery.
8. A dark-skinned member of a race of people living in Australia when Europeans arrived.
11. An associate degree in applied science.
12. A British peer ranking below a Marquess and above a Viscount.
13. A conspicuous disparity or difference as between two figures.
14. (informal) Exceptionally good.
15. (informal) `johnny' was applied as a nickname for Confederate soldiers by the Federal soldiers in the American Civil War.
16. Goddess of criminal rashness and its punishment.
17. The month following March and preceding May.
20. A radioactive element of the actinide series.
21. When dried yields a hard substance used e.g. in golf balls.
23. A condition (mostly in boys) characterized by behavioral and learning disorders.
26. A workplace for the conduct of scientific research.
30. A medicinal drug used to evoke vomiting (especially in cases of drug overdose or poisoning).
33. The blood group whose red cells carry both the A and B antigens.
34. (Akkadian) God of wisdom.
35. African tree having an exceedingly thick trunk and fruit that resembles a gourd and has an edible pulp called monkey bread.
39. Type genus of the Alcidae comprising solely the razorbill.
43. A city in northern India.
44. The basic unit of electric current adopted under the System International d'Unites.
47. A former agency (from 1946 to 1974) that was responsible for research into atomic energy and its peacetime uses in the United States.
48. Made of fir or pine.
49. A loose sleeveless outer garment made from aba cloth.
50. A run that is the result of the batter's performance.
51. Tropical starchy tuberous root.
52. A boy or man.
53. Failing to detonate.
1. A small cake leavened with yeast.
2. An association of people to promote the welfare of senior citizens.
3. A male monarch or emperor (especially of Russia prior to 1917).
4. A colorless odorless gaseous element that give a red glow in a vacuum tube.
5. A river in north central Switzerland that runs northeast into the Rhine.
6. Manufactured in standard sizes to be shipped and assembled elsewhere.
7. A white linen liturgical vestment with sleeves.
8. Title for a civil or military leader (especially in Turkey).
9. A Chadic language spoken south of Lake Chad.
10. An organization of countries formed in 1961 to agree on a common policy for the sale of petroleum.
18. West Indian tree having racemes of fragrant white flowers and yielding a durable timber and resinous juice.
19. An official prosecutor for a judicial district.
22. Resinlike substance secreted by certain lac insects.
24. A person forced to flee from home or country.
25. A Mid-Atlantic state.
27. A rare silvery (usually trivalent) metallic element.
28. A white metallic element that burns with a brilliant light.
29. A very poisonous metallic element that has three allotropic forms.
31. An esoteric or occult matter that is traditionally secret.
32. The cry made by sheep.
36. Advanced in years.
37. Toward the mouth or oral region.
38. Any of numerous local fertility and nature deities worshipped by ancient Semitic peoples.
39. (sports) The chief official (as in boxing or American football) who is expected to ensure fair play.
40. Soft white semisolid fat obtained by rendering the fatty tissue of the hog v 1.
41. An important seaport on the Island of Cebu in the Philippines.
42. Harsh or corrosive in tone.
45. A master's degree in business.
46. A number of sheets of paper fastened together along one edge.