1. South American wood sorrel cultivated for its edible tubers.
4. (biology) Shed at an early stage of development.
8. A solution containing a phosphate buffer.
11. (Australian and New Zealand) A disparaging term for English immigrants to Australia or New Zealand.
12. (in Gnosticism) A divine power or nature emanating from the Supreme Being and playing various roles in the operation of the universe.
13. A diagrammatic representation of the earth's surface (or part of it).
14. The capital and largest city of Japan.
15. An independent agency of the United States government responsible for aviation and spaceflight.
16. The compass point that is one point east of due south.
17. Conqueror of Gaul and master of Italy (100-44 BC).
20. A radioactive element of the actinide series.
21. A small ball with a hole through the middle.
24. The act of scanning.
29. Date used in reckoning dates before the supposed year Christ was born.
30. A plant hormone promoting elongation of stems and roots.
31. A gradual decline (in size or strength or power or number).
33. Cubes of meat marinated and cooked on a skewer usually with vegetables.
41. A loose sleeveless outer garment made from aba cloth.
42. Title for a civil or military leader (especially in Turkey).
45. Aromatic bulb used as seasoning.
46. An easy return of a tennis ball in a high arc.
47. A fraudulent business scheme.
48. Resinlike substance secreted by certain lac insects.
49. The compass point midway between northeast and east.
50. An narrative telling the adventures of a hero or a family.
51. A master's degree in fine arts.
1. An organization of countries formed in 1961 to agree on a common policy for the sale of petroleum.
2. The closing section of a musical composition.
3. Naked freshwater or marine or parasitic protozoa that form temporary pseudopods for feeding and locomotion.
4. The capital and largest city of Yemen.
5. Detected or perceived by the sense of hearing.
6. (Greek mythology) The winged goddess of the dawn in ancient mythology.
7. A nucleic acid consisting of large molecules shaped like a double helix.
8. A syndrome that occurs in many women from 2 to 14 days before the onset of menstruation.
9. A small cake leavened with yeast.
10. A detailed description of design criteria for a piece of work.
18. Roman statesman and philosopher who was and advisor to Nero (circa 4 BC - 65 AD).
19. The United Nations agency concerned with the international organization of food and agriculture.
22. The cry made by sheep.
23. The compass point that is one point east (clockwise) of due north.
25. Being ten more than one hundred ninety.
26. Having undesirable or negative qualities.
27. The blood group whose red cells carry both the A and B antigens.
28. A small pellet fired from an air rifle or BB gun.
32. A soft silvery metallic element of the alkali earth group.
34. Very dark black.
35. A very young child (birth to 1 year) who has not yet begun to walk or talk.
36. Having or denoting a low vocal or instrumental range.
37. God of love and erotic desire.
38. The inner surface of the hand from the wrist to the base of the fingers.
39. French cabaret singer (1915-1963).
40. Type genus of the Alcidae comprising solely the razorbill.
43. Aircraft landing in bad weather in which the pilot is talked down by ground control using precision approach radar.
44. An ugly evil-looking old woman.