1. United States diplomat and jurist who negotiated peace treaties with Britain and served as the first chief justice of the United States Supreme Court (1745-1829).
4. An edible tuber native to South America.
8. A room or establishment where alcoholic drinks are served over a counter.
11. A sweetened beverage of diluted fruit juice.
12. A Tibetan or Mongolian priest of Lamaism.
13. A flat wing-shaped process or winglike part of an organism.
14. A rotating disk shaped to convert circular into linear motion.
15. Someone who works (or provides workers) during a strike.
16. Noisy talk.
17. An organization of countries formed in 1961 to agree on a common policy for the sale of petroleum.
19. Lower in esteem.
21. Obvious and dull.
24. A white soft metallic element that tarnishes readily.
25. A port city in southwestern Turkey on the Gulf of Antalya.
30. A college town in central New York on Lake Cayuga.
32. Wild sheep of northern Africa.
33. A small cake leavened with yeast.
40. A loose sleeveless outer garment made from aba cloth.
43. (Babylonian) God of storms and wind.
45. A serve that strikes the net before falling into the receiver's court.
46. (British) A waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric.
47. An island in Indonesia south of Borneo.
48. An agency of the United Nations affiliated with the World Bank.
49. The cry made by sheep.
50. Any culture medium that uses agar as the gelling agent.
51. 16 ounces.
1. French biochemist who (with Jacques Monod) studied regulatory processes in cells (born in 1920).
2. (Babylonian) A demigod or first man.
3. A republic on the southwestern corner of the Arabian Peninsula on the Indian Ocean.
4. A caustic detergent useful for removing grease.
5. Committee formed by a special-interest group to raise money for their favorite political candidates.
6. A benevolent aspect of Devi.
7. A Chadic language spoken south of Lake Chad.
8. Common Indian weaverbird.
9. By bad luck.
10. A dissolute man in fashionable society.
18. West Indian tree having racemes of fragrant white flowers and yielding a durable timber and resinous juice.
20. A man who is the lover of a girl or young woman.
22. Resinlike substance secreted by certain lac insects.
23. The syllable naming the fourth (subdominant) note of the diatonic scale in solmization.
26. An informal term for a father.
27. A lipoprotein that transports cholesterol in the blood.
28. A state in midwestern United States.
29. A public promotion of some product or service.
31. A radioactive element of the actinide series.
34. In bed.
35. A Chadic language spoken south of Lake Chad.
36. Type genus of the Alcidae comprising solely the razorbill.
37. A Hindu prince or king in India.
38. (Polynesian) An alcoholic drink made from the aromatic roots of the kava shrub.
39. The sixth month of the civil year.
41. The executive agency that advises the President on the federal budget.
42. A plant hormone promoting elongation of stems and roots.
44. 10 grams.
45. A very poisonous metallic element that has three allotropic forms.