1. The residue that remains when something is burned.
4. A licensed medical practitioner.
7. An aggressive remark directed at a person like a missile and intended to have a telling effect.
11. A digital display that uses liquid crystal cells that change reflectivity in an applied electric field.
12. A federal agency established to coordinate programs aimed at reducing pollution and protecting the environment.
13. Any of numerous local fertility and nature deities worshipped by ancient Semitic peoples.
14. United States liquid unit equal to 4 quarts or 3.785 liters.
15. European mignonette cultivated as a source of yellow dye.
17. Type genus of the family Myacidae.
18. The blood group whose red cells carry both the A and B antigens.
20. An accountant certified by the state.
21. A decree that prohibits something.
24. The elementary stages of any subject (usually plural).
26. An Indian side dish of yogurt and chopped cucumbers and spices.
28. A French abbot.
32. Wool of the alpaca.
35. A constellation in the southern hemisphere near Telescopium and Norma.
36. 4-wheeled motor vehicle.
37. A small cake leavened with yeast.
40. A soft silvery metallic element of the alkali earth group.
44. A loose sleeveless outer garment made from aba cloth.
47. The habitation of wild animals.
49. Being one more than nine.
50. An agency of the United Nations affiliated with the World Bank.
51. Having the slant of a bevel.
52. A condition (mostly in boys) characterized by behavioral and learning disorders.
53. A river in north central Switzerland that runs northeast into the Rhine.
54. United States writer (born in Poland) who wrote in Yiddish (1880-1957).
1. Primitive chlorophyll-containing mainly aquatic eukaryotic organisms lacking true stems and roots and leaves.
2. Someone who works (or provides workers) during a strike.
3. A lipoprotein that transports cholesterol in the blood.
4. Water that has condensed on a cool surface overnight from water vapor in the air.
5. An organization of countries formed in 1961 to agree on a common policy for the sale of petroleum.
6. A high-crowned black cap (usually made of felt or sheepskin) worn by men in Turkey and Iran and the Caucasus.
7. A unit of magnetomotive force equal to 0.7958 ampere-turns.
8. A metrical unit with unstressed-stressed syllables.
9. Common Indian weaverbird.
10. A feeling of strong eagerness (usually in favor of a person or cause).
16. A light touch or stroke.
19. The basic unit of money in Macao.
22. (informal) Informed about the latest trends.
23. Large burrowing rodent of South and Central America.
25. A white metallic element that burns with a brilliant light.
27. A silvery ductile metallic element found primarily in bauxite.
29. Having undesirable or negative qualities.
30. A nonmetallic largely pentavalent heavy volatile corrosive dark brown liquid element belonging to the halogens.
31. (Akkadian) God of wisdom.
33. A large fleet.
34. A gradual decline (in size or strength or power or number).
38. In bed.
39. An unofficial association of people or groups.
41. Type genus of the Alcidae comprising solely the razorbill.
42. A bluish-white lustrous metallic element.
43. Goddess of fate.
45. An independent agency of the United States government responsible for collecting and coordinating intelligence and counterintelligence activities abroad in the national interest.
46. A room or establishment where alcoholic drinks are served over a counter.
48. An associate degree in applied science.