1. Rare (usually fatal) brain disease (usually in middle age) caused by an unidentified slow virus.
4. Essential oil or perfume obtained from flowers.
8. A unit of pressure.
11. An ugly evil-looking old woman.
12. A small cake leavened with yeast.
13. A unit of conductance equal to the reciprocal of an ohm.
14. A public promotion of some product or service.
15. Young of domestic cattle.
16. The force of workers available.
17. English writer and a central member of the Fabian Society (1858-1943).
20. A chronic inflammatory collagen disease affecting connective tissue (skin or joints).
22. A river in north central Switzerland that runs northeast into the Rhine.
25. In the Arabian Nights a hero who tells of the fantastic adventures he had in his voyages.
28. A white metallic element that burns with a brilliant light.
29. Date used in reckoning dates before the supposed year Christ was born.
30. A soft white precious univalent metallic element having the highest electrical and thermal conductivity of any metal.
32. The Tibeto-Burman language spoken in the Dali region of Yunnan.
35. A soft silvery metallic element of the alkali earth group.
36. A very young child (birth to 1 year) who has not yet begun to walk or talk.
38. Coming next after the first in position in space or time or degree or magnitude.
42. A loose sleeveless outer garment made from aba cloth.
45. Queen of the Olympian gods in ancient Greek mythology.
46. The compass point that is one point south of due west.
47. One of the most common of the five major classes of immunoglobulins.
48. In bed.
49. Towards the side away from the wind.
50. A shape that sags.
51. Fallow deer.
1. A wad of something chewable as tobacco.
2. Similar to the color of jade.
3. 1/10 gram.
4. The elementary stages of any subject (usually plural).
5. An official language of the Republic of South Africa.
6. (usually followed by `to') Having the necessary means or skill or know-how or authority to do something.
7. The airforce of Great Britain.
8. The capital and largest city of Jordan.
9. 100 thebe equal 1 pula.
10. An atom having a valence of one.
18. A decree that prohibits something.
19. Gibberish resembling the sounds of a baby.
21. Someone who works (or provides workers) during a strike.
23. An intensely radioactive metallic element that occurs in minute amounts in uranium ores.
24. A radioactive element of the actinide series.
26. Being nine more than ninety.
27. A light touch or stroke.
31. Talks a great deal about uninteresting topics.
33. Naked freshwater or marine or parasitic protozoa that form temporary pseudopods for feeding and locomotion.
34. Lower in esteem.
37. A French abbot.
39. Of or relating to or characteristic of the Republic of Chad or its people or language.
40. A recurring sleep state during which rapid eye movements do not occur and dreaming does not occur.
41. An informal term for a father.
43. An alliance made up of states that had been Soviet Socialist Republics in the Soviet Union prior to its dissolution in Dec 1991.
44. Title for a civil or military leader (especially in Turkey).
45. A chronic inflammatory collagen disease affecting connective tissue (skin or joints).