1. A guided missile fired from shipboard against an airborne target.
4. A small cake leavened with yeast.
8. Two items of the same kind.
11. An accountant certified by the state.
12. Using speech rather than writing.
13. Alsatian artist and poet who was cofounder of Dadaism in Zurich.
14. A river in north central Switzerland that runs northeast into the Rhine.
15. Air pollution by a mixture of smoke and fog.
16. (meaning literally `born') Used to indicate the maiden or family name of a married woman.
17. (informal) Exceptionally good.
19. French novelist.
22. The branch of computer science that deal with writing computer programs that can solve problems creatively.
23. A city in northern India.
26. The elementary stages of any subject (usually plural).
28. Light informal conversation for social occasions.
31. German mystic and theosophist who founded modern theosophy.
33. A silvery ductile metallic element found primarily in bauxite.
35. A white metallic element that burns with a brilliant light.
36. Common Indian weaverbird.
37. A small pellet fired from an air rifle or BB gun.
38. A logarithmic unit of sound intensity.
40. A form of address for a man.
42. An island in Indonesia south of Borneo.
46. The sense organ for hearing and equilibrium.
48. (Islam) The man who leads prayers in a mosque.
50. Resinlike substance secreted by certain lac insects.
51. The 7th letter of the Greek alphabet.
52. A loose sleeveless outer garment made from aba cloth.
54. An informal term for a father.
55. A metric unit of volume or capacity equal to 10 liters.
56. Relating to or characteristic of or occurring on land.
1. Someone who works (or provides workers) during a strike.
2. South American armadillo with three bands of bony plates.
3. God of death.
4. Wild and domestic cattle.
5. A human limb.
6. African tree having an exceedingly thick trunk and fruit that resembles a gourd and has an edible pulp called monkey bread.
7. Primitive chlorophyll-containing mainly aquatic eukaryotic organisms lacking true stems and roots and leaves.
8. A city of northern Poland near the mouth of the Vistula River on a gulf of the Baltic Sea.
9. The chief solid component of mammalian urine.
10. An organization of countries formed in 1961 to agree on a common policy for the sale of petroleum.
18. United States evangelical preacher famous as a mass evangelist (born in 1918).
20. A white soft metallic element that tarnishes readily.
21. (Greek mythology) Goddess of the earth and mother of Cronus and the Titans in ancient mythology.
24. Functioning correctly and ready for action.
25. (informal) `johnny' was applied as a nickname for Confederate soldiers by the Federal soldiers in the American Civil War.
27. A compartment in front of a motor vehicle where driver sits.
29. A radioactive element of the actinide series.
30. A soft silvery metallic element of the alkali earth group.
32. Too numerous to be counted.
34. 36th President of the United States.
39. A Chadic language spoken south of Lake Chad.
40. A constellation in the southern hemisphere near Telescopium and Norma.
41. Any of numerous local fertility and nature deities worshipped by ancient Semitic peoples.
43. Type genus of the Alcidae comprising solely the razorbill.
44. Characteristic of false pride.
45. Harsh or corrosive in tone.
47. A unit of absorbed ionizing radiation equal to 100 ergs per gram of irradiated material.
49. A master's degree in business.
53. Being ten more than thirty.
54. An angular shape characterized by sharp turns in alternating directions.