1. A broad flat muscle on either side of the back.
4. Psychoactive substance present in marijuana.
7. An informal term for a father.
11. Leaf or strip from a leaf of the talipot palm used in India for writing paper.
12. A period of time spent sleeping.
13. A woman hired to suckle a child of someone else.
14. Electronic warfare undertaken to prevent or reduce an enemy's effective use of the electromagnetic spectrum.
15. A federal agency established to regulate the release of new foods and health-related products.
16. A Chadic language spoken in northern Nigeria.
17. Used as a Hindi courtesy title.
19. A member of a seafaring group of North American Indians who lived on the Pacific coast of British Columbia and southwestern Alaska.
20. Used of a single unit or thing.
23. A coenzyme derived from the B vitamin nicotinic acid.
24. An indehiscent fruit derived from a single ovary having one or many seeds within a fleshy wall or pericarp.
27. Date used in reckoning dates before the supposed year Christ was born.
31. The syllable naming the fourth (subdominant) note of the diatonic scale in solmization.
32. The cry made by sheep.
33. The blood group whose red cells carry both the A and B antigens.
35. Someone who works (or provides workers) during a strike.
39. The airforce of Great Britain.
43. The 7th letter of the Greek alphabet.
44. A genus of Mustelidae.
45. A loose sleeveless outer garment made from aba cloth.
46. A river in north central Switzerland that runs northeast into the Rhine.
47. Chief port of Yemen.
48. A light touch or stroke.
1. United States physiologist (born in Germany) who did research on parthenogenesis (1859-1924).
2. Type genus of the Alcidae comprising solely the razorbill.
3. An alloy of copper and zinc (and sometimes arsenic) used to imitate gold in cheap jewelry and for gilding.
4. A proinflammatory cytokine that is produced by white blood cells (monocytes and macrophages).
5. A pilgrimage to Mecca.
6. An accountant certified by the state.
7. A metabolic acid found in yeast and liver cells.
8. At full speed.
9. A genus of Ploceidae.
10. Having the leading position or higher score in a contest.
18. Having removed clothing.
21. (Akkadian) God of wisdom.
22. A metric unit of weight equal to one thousandth of a kilogram.
25. A radioactive element of the actinide series.
26. Decapod having eyes on short stalks and a broad flattened carapace with a small abdomen folded under the thorax and pincers.
28. Having the properties of glue.
29. A port city in southwestern Iran.
30. An official prosecutor for a judicial district.
34. A Chadic language spoken south of Lake Chad.
36. The work of caring for or attending to someone or something.
37. A small cake leavened with yeast.
38. According to the Old Testament he was a pagan king of Israel and husband of Jezebel (9th century BC).
40. At a great distance in time or space or degree.
41. Relating to or characteristic of or occurring on the sea or ships.
42. An informal term for a father.