1. Thickening of tissue in the motor tracts of the lateral columns and anterior horns of the spinal cord.
4. Highly excited.
8. North American republic containing 50 states - 48 conterminous states in North America plus Alaska in northwest North America and the Hawaiian Islands in the Pacific Ocean.
11. A reproach for some lapse or misdeed.
12. Plant with an elongated head of broad stalked leaves resembling celery.
13. Payment due by the recipient on delivery.
14. (Old Testament) Adam's wife in Judeo-Christian mythology.
15. The compass point that is one point east (clockwise) of due north.
17. United States anarchist (born in Italy) who with Bartolomeo Vanzetti was convicted of murder and in spite of world-wide protest was executed (1891-1927).
19. An accountant certified by the state.
21. A public promotion of some product or service.
22. (Irish) Mother of the ancient Irish gods.
24. A plant hormone promoting elongation of stems and roots.
26. African tree having an exceedingly thick trunk and fruit that resembles a gourd and has an edible pulp called monkey bread.
29. A unit of dry measure used in Egypt.
30. A ruler of the Inca Empire (or a member of his family).
31. Liquid containing proteins and electrolytes including the liquid in blood plasma and interstitial fluid.
33. A silvery ductile metallic element found primarily in bauxite.
34. An official prosecutor for a judicial district.
35. A light touch or stroke.
38. A small pellet fired from an air rifle or BB gun.
40. The blood group whose red cells carry both the A and B antigens.
42. A nuclear reactor that uses water as a coolant and moderator.
44. An intensely radioactive metallic element that occurs in minute amounts in uranium ores.
45. A river in north central Switzerland that runs northeast into the Rhine.
47. Projectiles to be fired from a gun.
50. A loose sleeveless outer garment made from aba cloth.
51. (old-fashioned) At or from or to a great distance.
52. East Indian tree bearing a profusion of intense vermilion velvet-textured blooms and yielding a yellow dye.
53. Experiencing or showing sorrow or unhappiness.
54. Relating to or characteristic of or occurring on land.
55. A flat wing-shaped process or winglike part of an organism.
56. A radioactive metallic element that is similar to tellurium and bismuth.
1. (Greek mythology) Greek god of war.
2. Rock that in its molten form (as magma) issues from volcanos.
3. A detailed description of design criteria for a piece of work.
4. Type genus of the Annonaceae.
5. Light informal conversation for social occasions.
6. An organization of countries formed in 1961 to agree on a common policy for the sale of petroleum.
7. A rare silvery (usually trivalent) metallic element.
8. Fiddler crabs.
9. An upholstered seat for more than one person.
10. (Babylonian) God of storms and wind.
16. A flat-bottomed volcanic crater that was formed by an explosion.
18. An esoteric or occult matter that is traditionally secret.
20. French cabaret singer (1915-1963).
23. In bed.
25. A condition (mostly in boys) characterized by behavioral and learning disorders.
27. An associate degree in nursing.
28. South American wood sorrel cultivated for its edible tubers.
32. Someone who drives a taxi for a living.
36. Of or relating to or involving an area.
37. A coffee cake flavored with orange rind and raisins and almonds.
39. A small cake leavened with yeast.
41. Any of numerous local fertility and nature deities worshipped by ancient Semitic peoples.
42. The blood group whose red cells carry both the A and B antigens.
43. A unit of language that native speakers can identify.
46. A unit of absorbed ionizing radiation equal to 100 ergs per gram of irradiated material.
48. A master's degree in fine arts.
49. A federal agency established to regulate the release of new foods and health-related products.
50. The syllable naming the fourth (subdominant) note of the diatonic scale in solmization.