1. An unforeseen obstacle.
4. United States writer (born in Poland) who wrote in Yiddish (1880-1957).
8. A workplace for the conduct of scientific research.
11. A reptile genus of Iguanidae.
12. Herb of the Pacific islands grown throughout the tropics for its edible root and in temperate areas as an ornamental for its large glossy leaves.
13. To make a mistake or be incorrect.
14. An informal term for a father.
16. Tag the base runner to get him out.
17. Aircraft landing in bad weather in which the pilot is talked down by ground control using precision approach radar.
18. Tropical woody herb with showy yellow flowers and flat pods.
19. Before noon.
21. A soft white precious univalent metallic element having the highest electrical and thermal conductivity of any metal.
22. (Greek mythology) Goddess of the earth and mother of Cronus and the Titans in ancient mythology.
25. A federal agency established to regulate the release of new foods and health-related products.
32. According to the Old Testament he was a pagan king of Israel and husband of Jezebel (9th century BC).
33. A percussion instrument consisting of a pair of hollow pieces of wood or bone (usually held between the thumb and fingers) that are made to click together (as by Spanish dancers) in rhythm with the dance.
36. An Arabic speaking person who lives in Arabia or North Africa.
37. (of securities) Not quoted on a stock exchange.
41. Any of various long-tailed rodents similar to but larger than a mouse.
45. A sudden loss of consciousness resulting when the rupture or occlusion of a blood vessel leads to oxygen lack in the brain.
46. United States liquid unit equal to 4 quarts or 3.785 liters.
47. A metabolic acid found in yeast and liver cells.
48. Imperial dynasty that ruled China (most of the time) from 206 BC to 221 and expanded its boundaries and developed its bureaucracy.
49. The elementary stages of any subject (usually plural).
50. Showing characteristics of age, especially having gray or white hair.
51. Diabetes caused by a relative or absolute deficiency of insulin and characterized by polyuria.
1. European freshwater fish resembling the roach.
2. A state in the western United States.
3. A member of an agricultural people of southern India.
4. A public promotion of some product or service.
5. The capital and largest city of Yemen.
6. Burrowing marine mollusk living on sand or mud.
7. (folklore) A small grotesque supernatural creature that makes trouble for human beings.
8. A human limb.
9. Type genus of the family Arcidae.
10. (informal) Exceptionally good.
15. A flat wing-shaped process or winglike part of an organism.
20. Cubes of meat marinated and cooked on a skewer usually with vegetables.
23. A soft silvery metallic element of the alkali earth group.
24. The longer of the two telegraphic signals used in Morse code.
26. A white metallic element that burns with a brilliant light.
27. A white soft metallic element that tarnishes readily.
28. The blood group whose red cells carry both the A and B antigens.
29. A light touch or stroke.
30. A radioactive element of the actinide series.
31. African tree having an exceedingly thick trunk and fruit that resembles a gourd and has an edible pulp called monkey bread.
34. An anti-TNF compound (trade name Arava) that is given orally.
35. A switch made from the stems of the rattan palms.
38. A fine grained mineral having a soft soapy feel and consisting of hydrated magnesium silicate.
39. A small cake leavened with yeast.
40. Massive plantigrade carnivorous or omnivorous mammals with long shaggy coats and strong claws.
42. Title for a civil or military leader (especially in Turkey).
43. Enlarged prostate.
44. Of or relating to a member of the Buddhist people inhabiting the Mekong river in Laos and Thailand.
45. A white metallic element that burns with a brilliant light.