1. An informal term for a father.
5. Optical instrument consisting of a pair of lenses for correcting defective vision.
10. The residue that remains when something is burned.
13. Fleshy and usually brightly colored cover of some seeds that develops from the ovule stalk and partially or entirely envelopes the seed.
14. Make it possible through a specific action or lack of action for something to happen.
15. Aircraft landing in bad weather in which the pilot is talked down by ground control using precision approach radar.
16. Norse chieftan who became the first duke of Normandy (860-931).
17. A socially awkward or tactless act.
18. Thigh of a hog (usually smoked).
19. Deciduous South African tree having large odd-pinnate leaves and profuse fragrant orange-yellow flowers.
21. The face or front of a building.
23. Flatter in an obsequious manner.
25. A period marked by distinctive character or reckoned from a fixed point or event.
26. King of Saudi Arabia since 1982 (born in 1922).
27. A Tibetan or Mongolian priest of Lamaism.
31. An esoteric or occult matter that is traditionally secret.
35. A series of steps to be carried out or goals to be accomplished.
36. A loose sleeveless outer garment made from aba cloth.
37. The United Nations agency concerned with atomic energy.
40. Type genus of the Alcidae comprising solely the razorbill.
41. A public promotion of some product or service.
43. The jurisdiction or office of an abbot.
45. East Indian tree bearing a profusion of intense vermilion velvet-textured blooms and yielding a yellow dye.
47. A pause during which things are calm or activities are diminished.
50. The square of a body of any size of type.
51. A unit of magnetomotive force equal to 0.7958 ampere-turns.
52. King of England who was renounced by Northumbria in favor of his brother Edgar (died in 959).
54. Cubes of meat marinated and cooked on a skewer usually with vegetables.
56. United States inventor who manufactured the first elevator with a safety device (1811-1861).
58. Title for a civil or military leader (especially in Turkey).
59. A French abbot.
61. A transuranic element that has not been found in nature.
62. An independent agency of the United States government responsible for aviation and spaceflight.
63. Small terrestrial lizard of warm regions of the Old World.
64. Towards the side away from the wind.
1. A kind of heavy jacket (`windcheater' is a British term).
2. (botany) Relating to a plant of the family Araceae.
3. Rice cooked in well-seasoned broth with onions or celery and usually poultry or game or shellfish and sometimes tomatoes.
4. Important European leguminous forage plant with trifoliate leaves and blue-violet flowers grown widely as a pasture and hay crop.
5. A shape that sags.
6. (of games) Engaged in.
7. (folklore) Fairies that are somewhat mischievous.
8. A beverage consisting of an infusion of ground coffee beans.
9. Utter obscenities or profanities.
10. Title for a civil or military leader (especially in Turkey).
11. Any of a number of fishes of the family Carangidae.
12. Stable gear consisting of either of two curved supports that are attached to the collar of a draft horse and that hold the traces.
20. An official language of the Republic of South Africa.
22. A high-crowned black cap (usually made of felt or sheepskin) worn by men in Turkey and Iran and the Caucasus.
24. Of or relating to or characteristic of Thailand of its people.
28. A friendly nation.
29. (British) A waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric.
30. (Irish) Mother of the ancient Irish gods.
32. The blood group whose red cells carry both the A and B antigens.
33. Any of numerous local fertility and nature deities worshipped by ancient Semitic peoples.
34. An important seaport on the Island of Cebu in the Philippines.
38. A city and port in northern Jutland.
39. Discrimination in favor of the able-bodied.
40. Utter obscenities or profanities.
42. Fairly small terrestrial ferns of tropical America.
44. A state in northwestern North America.
46. Naked freshwater or marine or parasitic protozoa that form temporary pseudopods for feeding and locomotion.
48. A linear unit (1/40 inch) used to measure diameter of buttons.
49. With the mouth wide open as in wonder or awe.
53. Make high-pitched, whiney noises.
55. (computer science) A computer that is running software that allows users to leave messages and access information of general interest.
57. Brief episode in which the brain gets insufficient blood supply.
58. The branch of engineering science that studies the uses of electricity and the equipment for power generation and distribution and the control of machines and communication.
60. A soft silvery metallic element of the alkali earth group.