1. Hormone secreted by the posterior pituitary gland (trade name Pitressin) and also by nerve endings in the hypothalamus.
4. A unit of luminous flux equal to the amount of light given out through a solid angle of 1 steradian by a point source of 1 candela intensity radiating uniformly in all directions.
9. A metabolic acid found in yeast and liver cells.
13. Any thick messy substance.
14. (possibly Roman) Goddess of horses and mules and asses.
15. In bed.
16. (Babylonian) The sky god.
17. Swedish oceanographer who recognized the role of the Coriolis effect on ocean currents (1874-1954).
18. A Tibetan or Mongolian priest of Lamaism.
19. Large bamboo having thick-walled culms.
22. Before noon.
23. An Arabic speaking person who lives in Arabia or North Africa.
24. Resembling or characteristic of or appropriate to an elegy.
27. (astronomy) The angular distance of a celestial point measured westward along the celestial equator from the zenith crossing.
28. A large and stately mansion.
31. A unit of information equal to one million (1,048,576) bytes.
33. A state in north central United States.
34. A state in the eastern United States.
36. A very young child (birth to 1 year) who has not yet begun to walk or talk.
41. Title for a civil or military leader (especially in Turkey).
42. The capital and chief port of Qatar.
43. An officer who acts as military assistant to a more senior officer.
46. Cubes of meat marinated and cooked on a skewer usually with vegetables.
53. (Babylonian) God of storms and wind.
56. Type genus of the Alcidae comprising solely the razorbill.
58. The arch of bone beneath the eye that forms the prominence of the cheek.
59. American Revolutionary patriot.
61. Being one more than two.
62. An independent ruler or chieftain (especially in Africa or Arabia).
63. The seventh month of the Moslem calendar.
64. An agency of the United Nations affiliated with the World Bank.
1. Small terrestrial lizard of warm regions of the Old World.
2. The Teutonic god of thunder.
3. A (usually canopied) seat for riding on the back of a camel or elephant.
4. Plant having a large slender white bulb and flat overlapping dark green leaves.
5. Activity involved in maintaining something in good working order.
6. Informal terms for a mother.
7. Hard white substance covering the crown of a tooth.
8. (British) Your grandmother.
9. Chiefly tropical trees and shrubs and vines usually having a tall columnar trunk bearing a crown of very large leaves.
10. A loose sleeveless outer garment made from aba cloth.
11. Area around the altar of a church for the clergy and choir.
12. (Old Testament) In Judeo-Christian mythology.
20. Lower in esteem.
21. A tax on employees and employers that is used to fund the Social Security system.
25. An island of central Hawaii.
26. Type genus of the Gavidae.
29. A small ball with a hole through the middle.
30. Not in action or at work.
32. A flexible container with a single opening.
35. The Tibeto-Burman language spoken in the Dali region of Yunnan.
37. A soft silvery metallic element of the alkali earth group.
38. The compass point that is one point south of due west.
39. An insecticide that is also toxic to animals and humans.
40. An indehiscent fruit derived from a single ovary having one or many seeds within a fleshy wall or pericarp.
44. Measuring instrument in which the echo of a pulse of microwave radiation is used to detect and locate distant objects.
45. A white metallic element that burns with a brilliant light.
47. Mild yellow Dutch cheese made in balls.
48. An island in Indonesia east of Java.
49. Tropical starchy tuberous root.
50. Designer drug designed to have the effects of amphetamines (it floods the brain with serotonin) but to avoid the drug laws.
51. Harsh or corrosive in tone.
52. (Greek mythology) Goddess of the earth and mother of Cronus and the Titans in ancient mythology.
54. A river in north central Switzerland that runs northeast into the Rhine.
55. A pilgrimage to Mecca.
57. Being two more than fifty.
60. A metallic element having four allotropic forms.