1. Syndrome resulting from a serious acute (sometimes fatal) infection associated with the presence of staphylococcus.
4. An edict of the Russian tsar.
9. A long thin piece of cloth or paper as used for binding or fastening.
13. The compass point midway between east and southeast.
14. Of or in or relating to the nose.
15. In bed.
16. A painful injury to a joint caused by a sudden wrenching of its ligaments.
19. (trademark) A material used to coat cooking utensils and in industrial applications where sticking is to be avoided.
20. (Old Testament) In Judeo-Christian mythology.
22. Before noon.
23. Remote city of Kazakhstan that (ostensibly for security reasons) was made the capital in 1998.
25. According to the Old Testament he was a pagan king of Israel and husband of Jezebel (9th century BC).
28. No longer having or seeming to have or expecting to have life.
29. Open-heart surgery in which the rib cage is opened and a section of a blood vessel is grafted from the aorta to the coronary artery to bypass the blocked section of the coronary artery and improve the blood supply to the heart.
33. A tricycle (usually propelled by pedalling).
35. The cry made by sheep.
36. A flat wing-shaped process or winglike part of an organism.
37. A particular geographical region of indefinite boundary (usually serving some special purpose or distinguished by its people or culture or geography).
39. Top part of an apron.
40. Measuring instrument in which the echo of a pulse of microwave radiation is used to detect and locate distant objects.
42. The 7th letter of the Greek alphabet.
43. Used in combination to denote the middle.
46. English theoretical physicist who applied relativity theory to quantum mechanics and predicted the existence of antimatter and the positron (1902-1984).
50. A port city in southwestern Turkey on the Gulf of Antalya.
54. A state in the western United States.
57. Made from residue of grapes or apples after pressing.
58. One millionth of a gram.
60. (Islam) The man who leads prayers in a mosque.
61. The 21st letter of the Greek alphabet.
62. Father of the storm gods Marut.
63. A body of (usually fresh) water surrounded by land.
1. Of the nature of or undergoing an experiment.
2. A rare chronic progressive encephalitis caused by the measles virus and occurring primarily in children and young adults.
3. (medieval Europe) A person who is bound to the land and owned by the feudal lord.
4. Type genus of the family Unionidae.
5. A Dravidian language spoken in southern India.
6. A very poisonous metallic element that has three allotropic forms.
7. A mountain peak in the Andes in Bolivia (21,391 feet high).
8. Angular distance above the horizon (especially of a celestial object).
9. Covered with paving material.
10. A loose sleeveless outer garment made from aba cloth.
11. Having nine hinged bands of bony plates.
12. Mild yellow Dutch cheese made in balls.
17. (law) A defense by an accused person purporting to show that he or she could not have committed the crime in question.
18. A metric unit of volume or capacity equal to 10 liters.
21. An elaborate or deceitful scheme contrived to deceive or evade.
24. Cubes of meat marinated and cooked on a skewer usually with vegetables.
26. Goddess of the dead and queen of the underworld.
27. (Babylonian) God of storms and wind.
30. A French abbot.
31. Anything that serves as an enticement.
32. An amino acid that is found in the central nervous system.
34. Of or relating to or containing cerium especially with valence 4.
38. Harsh or corrosive in tone.
41. A woman hired to suckle a child of someone else.
44. A coffee cake flavored with orange rind and raisins and almonds.
45. Of or relating to a speaker of the Tamil language or the language itself.
47. A contagious skin infection caused by the itch mite.
48. East Indian cereal grass whose seed yield a somewhat bitter flour, a staple in the Orient.
49. A vehicle mounted on runners and pulled by horses or dogs.
51. A Tibetan or Mongolian priest of Lamaism.
52. A republic in the Middle East in western Asia.
53. The highest level or degree attainable.
55. An acute febrile highly contagious viral disease.
56. A river in north central Switzerland that runs northeast into the Rhine.
59. A nonmetallic largely pentavalent heavy volatile corrosive dark brown liquid element belonging to the halogens.
60. An official prosecutor for a judicial district.