1. A rapid bustling commotion.
4. A fibrous amphibole.
12. (Australian and New Zealand) A disparaging term for English immigrants to Australia or New Zealand.
15. A widely distributed system consisting of all the cells able to ingest bacteria or colloidal particles etc, except for certain white blood cells.
16. A colorless water-soluble glutinous protein obtained from animal tissues such as bone and skin.
17. A federal agency established to coordinate programs aimed at reducing pollution and protecting the environment.
18. Considerate and solicitous care.
19. A segment of DNA containing adjacent genes including structural genes and an operator gene and a regulatory gene.
20. An upright tripod for displaying something (usually an artist's canvas).
22. Title for the former hereditary monarch of Iran.
24. A fine grained mineral having a soft soapy feel and consisting of hydrated magnesium silicate.
26. English theoretical physicist who applied relativity theory to quantum mechanics and predicted the existence of antimatter and the positron (1902-1984).
28. Cubes of meat marinated and cooked on a skewer usually with vegetables.
30. The 10th letter of the Hebrew alphabet.
32. A person who eats human flesh.
36. Any of a group of Indic languages spoken in Kashmir and eastern Afghanistan and northern Pakistan.
40. A low triangular area where a river divides before entering a larger body of water.
41. Chief port of Yemen.
42. A male monarch or emperor (especially of Russia prior to 1917).
45. Not far distant in time or space or degree or circumstances.
46. Resinlike substance secreted by certain lac insects.
50. Of or relating to Oman or its people.
52. Informal terms for a mother.
53. A river in north central Switzerland that runs northeast into the Rhine.
54. Cooking utensil consisting of a wide metal vessel.
55. Type genus of the Percidae.
59. Denoting a quantity consisting of 20 items or units.
60. A very poisonous metallic element that has three allotropic forms.
62. A meson produced as the result of high-energy particle collision.
63. A yellow trivalent metallic element of the rare earth group.
64. Young of any of various canines such as a dog or wolf.
66. The large yellow root of a rutabaga plant used as food.
72. Type genus of the Spalacidae.
74. Canadian hockey player (born 1948).
75. A car driven by a person whose job is to take passengers where they want to go in exchange for money.
78. A deep prolonged sound (as of thunder or large bells).
79. (British) Your grandmother.
80. A mountain peak in the Andes in Bolivia (20,870 feet high).
81. A river in north central Switzerland that runs northeast into the Rhine.
1. An honorary arts degree.
2. A city in north-central India.
3. An annual award by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences for achievements in motion picture production and performance.
4. Gone by.
5. The month following August and preceding October.
6. The whiteness that results from removing the color from something.
7. A British peer ranking below a Marquess and above a Viscount.
8. Boxcar with latticed sides.
9. A silvery malleable metallic element that resists corrosion.
10. In operation or operational.
11. The largest island of Denmark and the site of Copenhagen.
12. The basic unit of money in Uruguay.
13. Affording unobstructed entrance and exit.
14. A milkshake made with malt powder.
21. Completely enveloping.
23. Austrian composer who influenced the classical form of the symphony (1732-1809).
25. The compass point that is one point north of due east.
27. A heavy odorless colorless gas formed during respiration and by the decomposition of organic substances.
29. (Akkadian) God of wisdom.
31. Small cubes with 1 to 6 spots on the faces.
33. A short high tone produced as a signal or warning.
34. A drug (trade names Atarax and Vistaril) used as a tranquilizer to treat anxiety and motion sickness.
35. A cartilaginous structure at the top of the trachea.
37. (Old Testament) In Judeo-Christian mythology.
38. A summary that repeats the substance of a longer discussion.
39. (Irish) Mother of the Tuatha De Danann.
43. Large ornamental tropical American tree with bipinnate leaves and globose clusters of flowers with crimson stamens and sweet-pulp seed pods eaten by cattle.
44. Any of numerous local fertility and nature deities worshipped by ancient Semitic peoples.
47. An island republic in the west central Pacific just south of the equator.
48. An unofficial association of people or groups.
49. A three-legged rack used for support.
51. A small Asian country high in the Himalayas between India and Tibet.
56. Having a common axis.
57. An organization of independent states to promote international peace and security.
58. Eurasian perennial bulbous herbs.
61. At an earlier place.
65. A genus of temperate and arctic evergreen trees (see spruce).
67. A mountain lake (especially one formed by glaciers).
68. Type genus of the Amiidae.
69. An important seaport on the Island of Cebu in the Philippines.
70. A flat-bottomed volcanic crater that was formed by an explosion.
71. (usually followed by `to') Having the necessary means or skill or know-how or authority to do something.
73. Worthless or oversimplified ideas.
76. Being ten more than thirty.
77. A metric unit of length equal to one hundredth of a meter.