1. Flat and uninspiring.
5. Bleeding into the interior chamber of the eye.
12. The central part of a car wheel (or fan or propeller etc) through which the shaft or axle passes.
15. South American armadillo with three bands of bony plates.
16. The act of removing.
17. A flat wing-shaped process or winglike part of an organism.
18. A member of any of various Indian peoples of central Mexico.
20. In a benign manner.
22. A large number or amount.
23. 100 penni equal 1 markka.
24. A city in northern India.
25. A Russian river.
27. A member of the Siouan people inhabiting the valleys of the Platte and Missouri rivers in Nebraska.
29. A mountain lake (especially one formed by glaciers).
30. (biology) Relating to or produced by or containing bacilli.
35. A member of a Turkic people of Uzbekistan and neighboring areas.
38. A rare silvery (usually trivalent) metallic element.
40. Any of the radiating leaflike spore-producing structures on the underside of the cap of a mushroom or similar fungus.
41. (Irish) The sea personified.
42. The blood group whose red cells carry both the A and B antigens.
44. Resinlike substance secreted by certain lac insects.
46. That part of the central nervous system that includes all the higher nervous centers.
47. Resembling or characteristic of or appropriate to an elegy.
50. The basic unit of money in Bangladesh.
52. (meaning literally `born') Used to indicate the maiden or family name of a married woman.
53. Being six more than forty.
54. An official prosecutor for a judicial district.
55. The largest tarsal bone.
57. A period marked by distinctive character or reckoned from a fixed point or event.
59. United States operatic soprano (1903-1972).
61. An international organization of European countries formed after World War II to reduce trade barriers and increase cooperation among its members.
63. Diabetes caused by a relative or absolute deficiency of insulin and characterized by polyuria.
64. A city in northwestern Turkey.
65. United States writer (born in Poland) who wrote in Yiddish (1880-1957).
69. Snapping turtles.
71. (used with singular count nouns) Colloquial for `not a' or `not one' or `never a'.
72. A brief description given for purposes of identification.
73. A ruler of the Inca Empire (or a member of his family).
76. A platform raised above the surrounding level to give prominence to the person on it.
77. Gone by.
78. Not changed by editing.
82. A zodiacal constellation in northern hemisphere between Cancer and Virgo.
83. Of a light yellowish-brown color n 1.
84. Extreme malnutrition and emaciation (especially in children).
85. Bulky grayish-brown eagle with a short wedge-shaped white tail.
1. Common perennial aromatic herb native to Eurasia having buttonlike yellow flower heads and bitter-tasting pinnate leaves sometimes used medicinally.
2. With rapid movements.
3. United States naval officer and historian (1840-1914).
4. Having or showing profound knowledge.
5. Hormones (estrogen and progestin) are given to postmenopausal women.
6. A sharp high-pitched cry (especially by a dog).
7. After noon.
8. Rub elbows with.
9. Divisible by two.
10. A starch made by leaching and drying the root of the cassava plant.
11. American prizefighter who won the world heavyweight championship three times (born in 1942).
12. A special way of doing something.
13. (Norse mythology) One of the Aesir known for his beauty and skill with bow and skis.
14. Common Indian weaverbird.
19. The slender spear of the Bantu-speaking people of Africa.
21. Someone who guards prisoners.
26. A trivalent metallic element of the rare earth group.
28. Individual serving of minced e.g. meat or fish in a rich creamy sauce baked in a small pastry mold or timbale shell.
31. Greek lyric poet of Lesbos.
32. An extensive grassy and nearly treeless plain (especially in Latin America).
33. Not contained in or deriving from the essential nature of something.
34. (the feminine of raja) A Hindu princess or the wife of a raja.
36. The activity of persuading someone to buy.
37. A diacritical mark (u-curved) placed over a vowel to indicate a short sound.
39. A silvery ductile metallic element found primarily in bauxite.
43. Having undesirable or negative qualities.
45. Essential oil or perfume obtained from flowers.
48. An encircling or ringlike structure.
49. A very prickly woody vine of the eastern United States growing in tangled masses having tough round stems with shiny leathery leaves and small greenish flowers followed by clusters of inedible shiny black berries.
51. Cubes of meat marinated and cooked on a skewer usually with vegetables.
56. Lacking either stimulating or irritating characteristics.
58. A complex carbohydrate found chiefly in seeds, fruits, tubers, roots and stem pith of plants, notably in corn, potatoes, wheat, and rice.
60. A landlocked republic in central Africa.
62. A Bantu language spoken by the Chaga people in northern Tanzania.
66. A river that rises in central Germany and flows north to join the Elbe River.
67. A person who weeps.
68. A Chinese green tea with twisted leaves.
70. Very dark black.
74. An alliance made up of states that had been Soviet Socialist Republics in the Soviet Union prior to its dissolution in Dec 1991.
75. A unit of pressure.
79. A silvery soft waxy metallic element of the alkali metal group.
80. A bivalent and trivalent metallic element of the rare earth group.
81. An honorary degree in science.