1. A bachelor's degree in naval science.
4. Hard yellowish to brownish wax from leaves of the carnauba palm used especially in floor waxes and polishes.
12. The law enforcement agency in the Justice Department.
15. Any of various long-tailed rodents similar to but larger than a mouse.
16. A recommendation to consult the (professional) person referred to.
17. (Norse mythology) One of the Aesir known for his beauty and skill with bow and skis.
18. A medicinal drug used to evoke vomiting (especially in cases of drug overdose or poisoning).
20. An early form of modern jazz (originating around 1940).
21. Being two more than fifty.
22. Convert into, or infiltrate with melanin.
24. The blood group whose red cells carry both the A and B antigens.
26. At right angles to the length of a ship or airplane.
29. A silvery malleable metallic element that resists corrosion.
31. A white soft metallic element that tarnishes readily.
32. An imaginary elephant that appears in a series of French books for children.
33. A genus of delicate ferns belonging to the family Osmundaceae.
36. An independent agency of the United States government responsible for collecting and coordinating intelligence and counterintelligence activities abroad in the national interest.
38. A gland in which gametes (sex cells) are produced.
42. (Old Testament) Adam's wife in Judeo-Christian mythology.
43. Powerful mackerel shark of the Atlantic and Pacific.
46. A gear with a small number of teeth designed to mesh with a larger wheel or rack.
49. Highly seasoned cut of smoked beef.
50. An ugly evil-looking old woman.
51. Group insurance that entitles members to services of participating hospitals and clinics and physicians.
52. Selected as the best.
53. A woman hired to suckle a child of someone else.
57. Lower in esteem.
59. A carriage consisting of two wheels and calash top.
64. A grant made by a law court.
68. A spring-flowering shrub or small tree of the genus Crataegus.
71. An athlete who plays basketball.
72. Used of a single unit or thing.
73. A tricycle (usually propelled by pedalling).
75. (the feminine of raja) A Hindu princess or the wife of a raja.
76. A doctor's degree in education.
77. The great hall in ancient Persian palaces.
78. A small quantity of liquid.
1. The top edge of a vessel.
2. The back side of the neck.
3. An ancient upright stone slab bearing markings.
4. United States writer (1871-1900).
5. Of or belonging to an aecium.
6. A substance produced by the hypothalamus that is capable of accelerating the secretion of a given hormone by the anterior pituitary gland.
7. The compass point that is one point east of northeast.
8. A unit of surface area equal to 100 square meters.
9. A university town in east central Illinois adjoining Champaign.
10. African tree having an exceedingly thick trunk and fruit that resembles a gourd and has an edible pulp called monkey bread.
11. Any high mountain.
12. A family of languages of the Fula people of west Africa in the sub-Sahara regions from Senegal to Chad.
13. Russian pancake of buckwheat flour and yeast.
14. (anatomy) Of or relating to the ilium.
19. A telegram sent abroad.
23. A blow from a flat object (as an open hand).
25. A round shape formed by a series of concentric circles.
27. A loose sleeveless outer garment made from aba cloth.
28. A motley assortment of things.
30. An artificial language.
34. Permitting little if any light to pass through because of denseness of matter.
35. (archaic) Utterly cast down.
37. Region of western Asia Minor colonized by Ancient Greeks.
39. The time after sunset and before sunrise while it is dark outside.
40. Small terrestrial lizard of warm regions of the Old World.
41. Relieve from military service.
44. (Irish) Mother of the ancient Irish gods.
45. A member of the Siouan people formerly living in the Missouri river valley in NE Nebraska.
47. Unable to relax or be still.
48. According to the Old Testament he was a pagan king of Israel and husband of Jezebel (9th century BC).
54. A percussion instrument consisting of a pair of hollow pieces of wood or bone (usually held between the thumb and fingers) that are made to click together (as by Spanish dancers) in rhythm with the dance.
55. United States politician who arranged for the purchase of Alaska from Russia (known at the time as Seward's Folly) (1801-1872).
56. British filmmaker (born in Hungary) (1893-1956).
58. An enclosed space.
60. The (prehensile) extremity of the superior limb.
61. Inspired by a feeling of fearful wonderment or reverence.
62. A short high tone produced as a signal or warning.
63. (often followed by `for') Ardently or excessively desirous.
65. Any culture medium that uses agar as the gelling agent.
66. A city in western Nevada at the foot of the Sierra Nevada Mountains.
67. Flowing in drops.
69. A health resort near a spring or at the seaside.
70. A local computer network for communication between computers.
74. A soft silvery metallic element of the alkali earth group.