1. A diagrammatic representation of the earth's surface (or part of it).
4. Paper that has been made translucent and waterproof by soaking in oil.
12. The syllable naming the first (tonic) note of any major scale in solmization.
15. Title for a civil or military leader (especially in Turkey).
16. City in central Iran.
17. Any of various primates with short tails or no tail at all.
18. The prejudice that members of one race are intrinsically superior to members of other races.
19. A unit of elastance equal to the reciprocal of a farad.
20. Goddess of the dead and queen of the underworld.
21. A constellation in the southern hemisphere near Telescopium and Norma.
26. An anxiety disorder associated with serious traumatic events and characterized by such symptoms as guilt about surviving or reliving the trauma in dreams or numbness and lack of involvement with reality or recurrent thoughts and images.
28. The ninth month of the Moslem calendar.
32. (Old Testament) The minister of the Persian emperor who hated the Jews and was hanged for plotting to massacre them.
36. A promontory in northern Morocco opposite the Rock of Gibraltar.
37. The elementary stages of any subject (usually plural).
40. Fudge made with brown sugar and butter and milk and nuts.
42. A person who enjoys reading.
43. An artificial language that is a revision and simplification of Esperanto.
44. The branch of engineering science that studies the uses of electricity and the equipment for power generation and distribution and the control of machines and communication.
45. 1,000,000,000 periods per second.
46. A doctor's degree in religion.
47. A strong emotion.
48. (used with singular count nouns) Colloquial for `not a' or `not one' or `never a'.
50. A radioactive element of the actinide series.
54. Half the width of an em.
55. A person active in party politics.
62. A unit of absorbed ionizing radiation equal to 100 ergs per gram of irradiated material.
63. The capital and largest city of Zambia.
67. Traditional code of the Japanese samurai which stressed courage and loyalty and self-discipline and simple living.
71. Fermented alcoholic beverage similar to but heavier than beer.
72. In a straight unbroken line of descent from parent to child.
75. A device (trade name Aqua-Lung) that lets divers breathe under water.
76. (Babylonian) The sky god.
77. Pertaining to filberts or hazelnuts.
79. A rapid escape (as by criminals).
80. A boy or man.
81. A town in southeastern New Mexico on the Pecos River near the Mexican border.
82. A loose sleeveless outer garment made from aba cloth.
1. God of death.
2. Any culture medium that uses agar as the gelling agent.
3. Large burrowing rodent of South and Central America.
4. A kiln for drying hops.
5. A belief (or system of beliefs) accepted as authoritative by some group or school.
6. A long-playing phonograph record.
7. A city in Veneto.
8. (Old Testament) In Judeo-Christian mythology.
9. A flourish added after or under your signature (originally to protect against forgery).
10. Order by virtue of superior authority.
11. The airforce of Great Britain.
12. Tropical woody herb with showy yellow flowers and flat pods.
13. An organization of countries formed in 1961 to agree on a common policy for the sale of petroleum.
14. Goddess of the dead and queen of the underworld.
22. The capital and largest city of Yemen.
23. A city in southern Turkey on the Seyhan River.
24. Herb of the Pacific islands grown throughout the tropics for its edible root and in temperate areas as an ornamental for its large glossy leaves.
25. A soft silvery metallic element of the alkali earth group.
27. Wearing footgear.
29. A port city in southwestern Iran.
30. Of lesser importance or stature or rank.
31. Small European freshwater fish with a slender bluish-green body.
33. Genus of sticky herbs with yellow flowers open in morning or evening but closed in bright light.
34. Sour or bitter in taste.
35. A constitutional monarchy in northern Europe on the western side of the Scandinavian Peninsula.
38. A fluorocarbon with chlorine.
39. A machine-readable version of a standard dictionary.
41. A collection of objects laid on top of each other.
49. Not only so, but.
51. A public official who investigates by inquest any death not due to natural causes.
52. A New England state.
53. Ratio of the hypotenuse to the opposite side.
56. A white soft metallic element that tarnishes readily.
57. A state in the Rocky Mountains.
58. The United Nations agency concerned with the interests of labor.
59. Deserving a curse.
60. A person who makes deceitful pretenses.
61. Of a pale purple color.
64. Scale-like structure between the base of the wing and the halter of a two-winged fly.
65. Cubes of meat marinated and cooked on a skewer usually with vegetables.
66. Small terrestrial lizard of warm regions of the Old World.
68. The inner and longer of the two bones of the human forearm.
69. A distinguished female operatic singer.
70. Loose or flaccid body fat.
73. An extension at the end and at right angles to the main building.
74. Thickening of tissue in the motor tracts of the lateral columns and anterior horns of the spinal cord.
78. A silvery soft waxy metallic element of the alkali metal group.