1. An ancient Hebrew unit of capacity equal to 10 baths or 10 ephahs.
4. Milk thickened with a butter and flour roux.
12. A numbered compartment in a post office where mail is put to be called for.
15. A strong emotion.
16. A lace used for fastening shoes.
17. Leaf or strip from a leaf of the talipot palm used in India for writing paper.
18. Pleasant or pleasing or agreeable in nature or appearance.
20. Modulation of the frequency of the (radio) carrier wave.
21. One who brings about a result or event.
23. The event of dying or departure from life.
25. 100 toea equal 1 kina.
27. According to the Old Testament he was a pagan king of Israel and husband of Jezebel (9th century BC).
28. A character set that includes letters.
32. A port in southwestern Scotland.
36. The father of your father or mother.
41. A decree that prohibits something.
42. American professional baseball player who hit more home runs than Babe Ruth (born in 1934).
43. The rate at which red blood cells settle out in a tube of blood under standardized conditions.
45. A heavy brittle diamagnetic trivalent metallic element (resembles arsenic and antimony chemically).
47. A radioactive gaseous element formed by the disintegration of radium.
48. Using speech rather than writing.
49. A promotional statement (as found on the dust jackets of books).
52. Designer drug designed to have the effects of amphetamines (it floods the brain with serotonin) but to avoid the drug laws.
54. A chronic inflammatory collagen disease affecting connective tissue (skin or joints).
56. American dwarf fan palms.
57. Any of numerous local fertility and nature deities worshipped by ancient Semitic peoples.
61. An ancient Egyptian city on the west bank of the Nile opposite Cairo.
62. The elementary stages of any subject (usually plural).
63. Whiten with Blanco.
65. Genus of tropical Asiatic trees having large solitary flowers.
67. Of or relating to the aorta.
70. The blood group whose red cells carry both the A and B antigens.
73. A cap with a flat circular top and a visor.
74. A characteristic language of a particular group (as among thieves).
76. Greek mythology.
78. An open vessel with a handle and a spout for pouring.
79. Type genus of the Cariamidae comprising only the crested cariama.
81. A defensive missile designed to shoot down incoming intercontinental ballistic missiles.
82. Fraught with extreme danger.
83. A festival featuring African-American culture.
84. A compartment in front of a motor vehicle where driver sits.
1. To some (great or small) extent.
2. A projecting bay window corbeled or cantilevered out from a wall.
3. A summary that repeats the substance of a longer discussion.
4. A bachelor's degree in science.
5. 30 to 300 gigahertz.
6. French philosopher remembered as the founder of positivism.
7. A very light colorless element that is one of the six inert gasses.
8. On or toward the lee.
9. A Chadic language spoken south of Lake Chad.
10. Liquid containing proteins and electrolytes including the liquid in blood plasma and interstitial fluid.
11. Towards the side away from the wind.
12. Any of various herbaceous plants whose leaves or stems or flowers are cooked and used for food or seasoning.
13. Evergreen trees and shrubs having oily one-seeded fruits.
14. An aggressive remark directed at a person like a missile and intended to have a telling effect.
19. The intoxicating agent in fermented and distilled liquors.
22. A strip of land projecting into a body of water.
24. Austrian composer who influenced the classical form of the symphony (1732-1809).
26. (of securities) Not quoted on a stock exchange.
29. An undergarment worn by women to support their breasts.
30. A guided missile fired from shipboard against an airborne target.
31. Someone who works (or provides workers) during a strike.
33. A white soft metallic element that tarnishes readily.
34. Covered with paving material.
35. Reports of the work of a society or learned body etc.
37. Not widely known.
38. A constellation in the southern hemisphere near Telescopium and Norma.
39. United States labor organizer who ran for President as a socialist (1855-1926).
40. Malodorous tropical plant having a spathe that resembles the corolla of a morning glory and attains a diameter of several feet.
44. The scum formed by oxidation at the surface of molten metals.
46. Tropical American tree with large peltate leaves and hollow stems.
50. Any exciting and complex play intended to confuse (dazzle) the opponent.
51. (Scottish) Bluish-black or gray-blue.
53. A Chadic language spoken south of Lake Chad.
55. Large burrowing rodent of South and Central America.
58. Someone who plays the harp.
59. Constituting the full quantity or extent.
60. A person of Polish descent.
64. United States pharmacologist (born in Germany) who was the first to show that acetylcholine is produced at the junction between a parasympathetic nerve and a muscle (1873-1961).
66. The capital and largest city of Yemen.
68. A city in northern India.
69. A cut of meat taken from the side and back of an animal between the ribs and the rump.
71. Having nine hinged bands of bony plates.
72. A metrical unit with unstressed-stressed syllables.
75. (used especially of commodities) In the natural unprocessed condition.
77. Committee formed by a special-interest group to raise money for their favorite political candidates.
80. Informal terms for a mother.