1. The elementary stages of any subject (usually plural).
5. A thin straight surgical knife used in dissection and surgery.
12. A diagrammatic representation of the earth's surface (or part of it).
15. A strong wind moving 45-90 knots.
16. A narcotic antagonist (trade name Nalline) that counteracts the effects of narcotics (especially the effects of poisoning by morphine).
17. A sweetened beverage of diluted fruit juice.
18. An Arabic speaking person who lives in Arabia or North Africa.
19. Surveying instrument consisting of the upper movable part of a theodolite including the telescope and its attachments.
20. The state of matter distinguished from the solid and liquid states by.
21. At or near or toward the center of a ship.
22. Pasture grass of plains of South America and western North America.
24. (informal) Of the highest quality.
25. The 11th letter of the Greek alphabet.
28. Distinctive and stylish elegance.
30. Alternatively, a member of the family Nymphaeaceae.
32. A solid food prepared from the pressed curd of milk.
36. (Greek mythology) A youth beloved of Hero who drowned in a storm in the Hellespont on one of his nightly visits to see her.
40. English pianist (1890-1965).
41. A fastener for a door or lid.
45. English monk and scholar (672-735).
46. In addition.
47. A tax on employees and employers that is used to fund the Social Security system.
49. Covered or soaked with a liquid such as water.
50. The part of the small intestine between the jejunum and the cecum.
52. The highest level or degree attainable.
54. Informal terms for a (young) woman.
55. (aeronautics) Designating an airship having a shape maintained only by internal gas pressure and without a supporting structure.
58. The blood group whose red cells carry both the A and B antigens.
59. The network in the reticular formation that serves an alerting or arousal function.
60. People having the same social or economic status.
61. Any of the short curved hairs that grow from the edges of the eyelids.
64. Highly aromatic inner bark of the Canella winterana used as a condiment and a tonic.
67. A genus of plants with pods that ripen underground (see peanut).
71. A loose sleeveless outer garment made from aba cloth.
72. Heater that removes ice or frost (as from a windshield or a refrigerator or the wings of an airplane).
75. A group of southern Bantu languages.
76. Any federal law-enforcement officer.
77. Oldest known reptiles.
79. (computer science) A coding system that incorporates extra parity bits in order to detect errors.
80. A federal agency established to regulate the release of new foods and health-related products.
81. A great raja.
82. East Indian tree bearing a profusion of intense vermilion velvet-textured blooms and yielding a yellow dye.
1. Small terrestrial lizard of warm regions of the Old World.
2. Of or relating to or containing barium.
3. A group of biological taxa or species that share features inherited from a common ancestor.
4. The compass point that is one point south of southeast.
5. Freshwater or marine or terrestrial gastropod mollusk usually having an external enclosing spiral shell.
6. A high-crowned black cap (usually made of felt or sheepskin) worn by men in Turkey and Iran and the Caucasus.
7. Small genus of aquatic or semiaquatic plants.
8. An honorary law degree.
9. Perennial herb of East India to Polynesia and Australia cultivated for its large edible root yielding Otaheite arrowroot starch.
10. The final stages of an extended process of negotiation.
11. A facial expression of contempt or scorn.
12. Molten rock in the earth's crust.
13. American Revolutionary patriot.
14. (Judaism) A Jewish festival (traditionally 8 days) celebrating the exodus of the Israelites from Egypt.
23. A city in southern Turkey on the Seyhan River.
26. A small pellet fired from an air rifle or BB gun.
27. A unit of pain intensity.
29. Available source of wealth.
31. A small cake leavened with yeast.
33. An expression of greeting.
34. A city in western Germany.
35. 30 to 300 gigahertz.
37. Vacuum flask that holds liquid air or helium for scientific experiments.
38. Swelling from excessive accumulation of serous fluid in tissue.
39. (British) A local tax on property (usually used in the plural).
42. The branch of computer science that deal with writing computer programs that can solve problems creatively.
43. A large number or amount.
44. Committee formed by a special-interest group to raise money for their favorite political candidates.
48. Bar temporarily.
51. Dam to make a millpond to provide power for a water mill.
53. An infective disease caused by sporozoan parasites that are transmitted through the bite of an infected Anopheles mosquito.
56. Soft blue-gray mineral.
57. (Old Testament) The first of the major Hebrew prophets (8th century BC).
62. The capital and largest city of Yemen.
63. Hormone produced early in pregnancy by the placenta.
65. In bed.
66. A quantity of no importance.
68. Used in combination.
69. A ruler of the Inca Empire (or a member of his family).
70. Not in good physical or mental health.
73. An accountant certified by the state.
74. The rate at which red blood cells settle out in a tube of blood under standardized conditions.
78. A person who announces and plays popular recorded music.