1. (trademark) A tinned luncheon meat made largely from pork.
5. Line of defense consisting of a barrier of felled or live trees with branches (sharpened or with barbed wire entwined) toward the enemy.
12. Not reflecting light.
15. The basic unit of money on Malta.
16. Type genus of the Balaenidae.
17. Title for a civil or military leader (especially in Turkey).
18. A Kwa language spoken in Ghana and the Ivory Coast.
19. Worn around arm as identification or to indicate mourning.
20. The federal agency that insures residential mortgages.
21. A coffee cake flavored with orange rind and raisins and almonds.
23. An ancient Assyrian city on the River Tigris and traditional capital of Assyria.
25. Any of various strong liquors distilled from the fermented sap of toddy palms or from fermented molasses.
27. A island in the Netherlands Antilles that is the top of an extinct volcano.
30. Like the sounds of frogs and crows.
34. A high-crowned black cap (usually made of felt or sheepskin) worn by men in Turkey and Iran and the Caucasus.
38. Register formally.
39. United States writer (born in Poland) who wrote in Yiddish (1880-1957).
41. The capital and largest city of Yemen.
42. Water frozen in the solid state.
43. Excessively fat.
46. A rational motive for a belief or action.
47. Speaking a Slavic language.
49. Common house and field crickets.
51. Informal terms for a mother.
52. Of or relating to or characteristic of Hades or Tartarus.
54. A framework that holds the panes of a window in the window frame.
55. A small drink of liquor.
56. A public promotion of some product or service.
57. A highly unstable radioactive element (the heaviest of the halogen series).
62. (Brit) An area of open or forested country.
65. Not openly expressed.
68. A resident of Kansas.
72. A genus of Pyralidae.
73. Scale-like structure between the base of the wing and the halter of a two-winged fly.
76. Type genus of the Alcidae comprising solely the razorbill.
77. Goddess of criminal rashness and its punishment.
78. A tricycle (usually propelled by pedalling).
80. Russian physicist (1895-1971).
81. Wild and domestic cattle.
82. A state in the southeastern United States on the Gulf of Mexico.
83. A fencing sword similar to a foil but with a heavier blade.
1. Block consisting of a thick piece of something.
2. Small short-eared burrowing mammal of rocky uplands of Asia and western North America.
3. An Arabic speaking person who lives in Arabia or North Africa.
4. A town in southern Minnesota.
5. A loose sleeveless outer garment made from aba cloth.
6. United States writer of poems and plays about racial conflict (born in 1934).
7. Voluntary contributions to aid the poor.
8. Forbidden to profane use especially in South Pacific islands.
9. The process of shedding tears (usually accompanied by sobs or other inarticulate sounds).
10. A hotel providing overnight lodging for travelers.
11. Experiencing or showing sorrow or unhappiness.
12. A Chadic language spoken south of Lake Chad.
13. Title for a civil or military leader (especially in Turkey).
14. An official language of the Republic of South Africa.
22. An artificial language intended for international use as an auxiliary language.
24. Any seed plant yielding balsam.
26. A colorless and odorless inert gas.
28. Tropical trees having papery leaves and large fruit.
29. A soft silvery metallic element of the alkali earth group.
31. Having removed clothing.
32. A step in walking or running.
33. Any of the short curved hairs that grow from the edges of the eyelids.
35. Large African antelope with long straight nearly upright horns.
36. Personal state of isolation and anxiety resulting from a lack of social control and regulation.
37. An appetizer consisting usually of a thin slice of bread or toast spread with caviar or cheese or other savory food.
40. A plaything that is ridden up and down by children at either end.
44. A decree that prohibits something.
45. An international organization of European countries formed after World War II to reduce trade barriers and increase cooperation among its members.
48. Included seven times in every 19 years.
50. Flat and uninspiring.
53. A member of an Indian people formerly living along the Gulf coast of Louisiana and Texas.
58. A nation in northern North America.
59. (biology) Of unlike parts or organs.
60. Yellow-fever mosquitos.
61. A hard malleable ductile silvery metallic element that is resistant to corrosion.
63. Jordan's port.
64. A white soft metallic element that tarnishes readily.
66. An international organization created in 1949 by the North Atlantic Treaty for purposes of collective security.
67. Marked by lack of intellectual depth.
69. A blow from a flat object (as an open hand).
70. The highest level or degree attainable.
71. A language unit by which a person or thing is known.
74. Fiddler crabs.
75. A rapid escape (as by criminals).
79. Angular distance above the horizon (especially of a celestial object).