1. The part of the nervous system of vertebrates that controls involuntary actions of the smooth muscles and heart and glands.
4. Double-walled stage of the embryo succeeding the blastula.
12. (computer science) The rate at which data is transferred (as by a modem).
15. The syllable naming the sixth (submediant) note of a major or minor scale in solmization.
16. Of or relating to or resulting from rickets.
17. Any of various long-tailed rodents similar to but larger than a mouse.
18. A new embodiment of a familiar idea.
20. A city in southern Turkey on the Seyhan River.
21. Title for a civil or military leader (especially in Turkey).
22. English physician (1624-1689).
24. Someone who nudges.
26. Put up with something or somebody unpleasant.
28. A state in northwestern North America.
30. A fertile tract in a desert (where the water table approaches the surface).
31. Plant growing in the sea, especially marine algae.
35. A choice or delicious dish.
38. A city in northwestern Syria.
39. A doctor's degree in education.
43. A thin wedge of material (wood or metal or stone) for driving into crevices.
44. A person regarded as arrogant and annoying.
46. (Zoroastrianism) Title for benevolent deities.
49. American prizefighter who won the world heavyweight championship three times (born in 1942).
50. Forbidden to profane use especially in South Pacific islands.
51. A heavy odorless colorless gas formed during respiration and by the decomposition of organic substances.
52. (Welsh) The farmer god.
55. A short pithy instructive saying.
58. (Scottish) Bluish-black or gray-blue.
59. A brittle gray crystalline element that is a semiconducting metalloid (resembling silicon) used in transistors.
60. (Akkadian) God of wisdom.
61. A rare silvery (usually trivalent) metallic element.
62. (Babylonian) God of storms and wind.
64. Preserve a dead body.
68. What you can repeat immediately after perceiving it.
71. Bottle that has a narrow neck.
74. The cry made by sheep.
75. The literary intelligentsia.
78. Aircraft landing in bad weather in which the pilot is talked down by ground control using precision approach radar.
79. A slippery or viscous liquid or liquefiable substance not miscible with water.
80. Inability to urinate.
81. A barrier constructed to contain the flow or water or to keep out the sea.
82. A coenzyme derived from the B vitamin nicotinic acid.
83. (Judaism) An eight-day Jewish holiday commemorating the rededication of the Temple of Jerusalem.
84. A loose sleeveless outer garment made from aba cloth.
1. By bad luck.
2. An organization of military naval forces.
3. Relative darkness caused by light rays being intercepted by an opaque body.
4. The father of your father or mother.
5. Port city of Denmark in eastern Jutland.
6. A white trivalent metallic element.
7. The longest river in England.
8. (usually followed by `of') Released from something onerous (especially an obligation or duty).
9. A reptile genus of Iguanidae.
10. Of or relating to Linnaeus or to the system of of taxonomic classification that he proposed.
11. (zoology) Lacking a tail or taillike appendage.
12. (informal) Exceptionally good.
13. Especially one side of a leaf.
14. Indicating the most important performer or role.
19. A projection at the end of a piece of wood that is shaped to fit into a mortise and form a mortise joint.
23. Fleshy and usually brightly colored cover of some seeds that develops from the ovule stalk and partially or entirely envelopes the seed.
25. American patriot who rode with Paul Revere to warn that the British were advancing on Lexington and Concord (1745-1799).
27. An honorary degree in science.
29. Of people.
32. An ancient Hebrew unit of dry measure equal to about a bushel.
33. A short speech (often in verse) addressed directly to the audience by an actor at the end of a play.
34. A clergyman.
36. (Philippine) A dish of marinated vegetables and meat or fish.
37. God of death.
40. Small European freshwater fish with a slender bluish-green body.
41. A ductile malleable reddish-brown corrosion-resistant diamagnetic metallic element.
42. A metrical unit with unstressed-stressed syllables.
45. Genus of East Indian trees or shrubs.
47. Scottish writer of rustic verse (1770-1835).
48. Among the largest bony fish.
53. A flat wing-shaped process or winglike part of an organism.
54. A bluish shade of green.
56. (Jewish cookery) A loaf of white bread containing eggs and leavened with yeast.
57. The capital of Lesotho.
63. (Irish) Chief god of the Tuatha De Danann.
65. Type genus of the Majidae.
66. With no effort to conceal.
67. Tropical Asian starlings.
69. (South African) A journey by ox wagon (especially an organized migration by a group of settlers).
70. A covering to disguise or conceal the face.
72. Someone who works (or provides workers) during a strike.
73. God of love and erotic desire.
76. A large cask especially one holding a volume equivalent to 2 butts or 252 gals.
77. Brief episode in which the brain gets insufficient blood supply.