1. A nucleic acid consisting of large molecules shaped like a double helix.
4. Canadian writer noted for his analyses of the mass media (1911-1980).
11. A tax on employees and employers that is used to fund the Social Security system.
15. The fatty flesh of eel.
16. Addressing an audience formally (usually a long and rhetorical address and often pompous).
17. A river that rises in northeastern Turkey (near the source of the Euphrates) and flows generally eastward through Armenia to the Caspian Sea.
18. A loose sleeveless outer garment made from aba cloth.
19. A social unit living together.
21. A battle in the Seven Years' War (1757).
23. Red pear-shaped tropical fruit with poisonous seeds.
24. Australian shrubs and small trees with evergreen usually spiny leaves and dense clusters of showy flowers.
25. Large sweet juicy hybrid between tangerine and grapefruit having a thick wrinkled skin.
27. (Greek mythology) A Titan who was forced by Zeus to bear the sky on his shoulders.
30. Horny plate covering and protecting part of the dorsal surface of the digits.
32. The persistence of a sound after its source has stopped.
36. Tropical tree of Central America and West Indies and Puerto Rico having spikes of white flowers.
38. (computer science) A measure of how densely information is packed on a storage medium.
39. French couturier whose first collection in 1947 created a style (tight bodice and narrow waist and flowing pleated skirt) that became known as the New Look (1905-1957).
40. A river in central Europe that arises in northwestern Czechoslovakia and flows northward through Germany to empty into the North Sea.
41. A city in western California on San Francisco Bay opposite San Francisco.
44. Tooth on the rim of gear wheel.
45. Being one more than two.
47. Any of numerous hairy-bodied insects including social and solitary species.
48. New Zealand timber tree resembling the cypress.
50. A cut of pork ribs with much of the meat trimmed off.
53. A port city in southwestern Iran.
54. The arch of bone beneath the eye that forms the prominence of the cheek.
55. (Babylonian) God of storms and wind.
56. (informal usage) A general feeling of boredom and dissatisfaction.
57. A period of time spent sleeping.
61. Dry red Italian table wine from the Chianti region of Tuscany.
65. Regional and archaic.
69. A river in north central Switzerland that runs northeast into the Rhine.
70. The basic unit of money in Paraguay.
73. Gully or streambed in North Africa and the Middle East that remains dry except during rainy season.
74. An undergarment worn by women to support their breasts.
75. Relating to or like or divided into areolae.
76. A primeval personification of air and breath.
77. (British) Informal term for information.
78. Largest city in Washington.
79. An American who lives in the North (especially during the American Civil War).
1. Dearly loved.
2. (Babylonian) God of wisdom and agriculture and patron of scribes and schools.
3. By bad luck.
4. A port city in southern Kenya on a coral island in a bay of the Indian Ocean.
5. A squeaking sound.
6. A long pointed rod used as a weapon.
7. A resident of Utah.
8. A person regarded as greedy and pig-like.
9. A city in southern Peru founded in 1540 on the site of an ancient Inca city.
10. A Mid-Atlantic state.
11. Formed or conceived by the imagination.
12. A republic in the Middle East in western Asia.
13. (law) A comprehensive term for any proceeding in a court of law whereby an individual seeks a legal remedy.
14. United States tennis player who was the first Black to win United States and English singles championships (1943-1993).
20. United States liquid unit equal to 4 quarts or 3.785 liters.
22. A painful emotion resulting from an awareness of inadequacy or guilt.
26. Russian composer (1804-1857).
28. Eurasian perennial bulbous herbs.
29. Of or relating to the lips of the mouth.
31. (usually followed by `to') Having the necessary means or skill or know-how or authority to do something.
33. Stout-bodied insect with large membranous wings.
34. A pipe with a long flexible tube connected to a container where the smoke is cooled by passing through water.
35. Edible viscera of a butchered animal.
37. Marked by excessive enthusiasm for and intense devotion to a cause or idea.
42. Cubes of meat marinated and cooked on a skewer usually with vegetables.
43. Dip a foot or hand briefly into a liquid.
46. A ductile gray metallic element of the lanthanide series.
49. An easy victory.
51. Type genus of the Ranidae.
52. A state of being carried away by overwhelming emotion.
58. A Chadic language spoken in northern Nigeria and closely related to Hausa.
59. Obvious and dull.
60. Lighted up by or as by fire or flame.
62. Swift timid long-eared mammal larger than a rabbit having a divided upper lip and long hind legs.
63. A theocratic republic in the Middle East in western Asia.
64. The United Nations agency concerned with atomic energy.
66. Avatar of Vishnu.
67. Any place of complete bliss and delight and peace.
68. A couple who both have careers and no children.
71. Decay usually accompanied by an offensive odor.
72. Angular distance above the horizon (especially of a celestial object).