1. An advantageous purchase.
4. Lacking a label or tag.
12. A dark-skinned member of a race of people living in Australia when Europeans arrived.
15. Goddess of criminal rashness and its punishment.
16. In a secure manner.
17. The network in the reticular formation that serves an alerting or arousal function.
18. A member of a nomadic Berber people of the Sahara.
20. A Nilotic language.
21. (computer science) A coding system that incorporates extra parity bits in order to detect errors.
22. Title for a civil or military leader (especially in Turkey).
23. A fencing sword similar to a foil but with a heavier blade.
25. Deciduous shrub of North America.
27. United States writer remembered for his stories (1783-1859).
30. (used especially of vegetation) Having lost all moisture.
31. Squash bugs.
36. Decorate tastelessly.
39. The seventh month of the Moslem calendar.
43. A festival featuring African-American culture.
45. An accidental happening.
47. The federal department responsible for safeguarding national security.
48. The federal agency that insures residential mortgages.
49. A resident of Arizona.
53. Large genus of tropical subshrubs or herbs some of which yield fibers of mucilaginous substances.
54. A married man.
56. Not easy.
57. French revolutionary leader (born in Switzerland) who was a leader in overthrowing the Girondists and was stabbed to death in his bath by Charlotte Corday (1743-1793).
60. Any competition.
62. A tricycle (usually propelled by pedalling).
65. A republic in southeastern Europe.
69. A short trip that is taken in the performance of a necessary task or mission.
72. Someone whose business is advertising.
73. An independent agency of the United States government responsible for collecting and coordinating intelligence and counterintelligence activities abroad in the national interest.
74. Being one more than seventeen.
77. Gone by.
78. God of the earth.
79. Housing that someone is living in.
80. A unit of length equal to one thousandth of an inch.
1. A Chadic language spoken south of Lake Chad.
2. (Sumerian) Sun god.
3. Not only so, but.
4. The act of using.
5. A desert in southern Israel.
6. A crystalline metallic element not found in nature.
7. American poet (born in England) (1907-1973).
8. Norwegian composer whose work was often inspired by Norwegian folk music (1843-1907).
9. (British) Informal term for information.
10. Large northern deer with enormous flattened antlers in the male.
11. Two items of the same kind.
12. Large west African tree having large palmately lobed leaves and axillary cymose panicles of small white flowers and one-winged seeds.
13. An indehiscent fruit derived from a single ovary having one or many seeds within a fleshy wall or pericarp.
14. An annual award by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences for achievements in motion picture production and performance.
19. Dried grape.
24. Division of a usually pinnately divided leaf.
26. (Old Testament) The second patriarch.
28. Harass with persistent criticism or carping.
29. (Akkadian) God of wisdom.
32. Himalayish language spoken in the Kathmandu Valley of Nepal.
33. Extinct small mostly diurnal lower primates that fed on leaves and fruit.
34. A soft silvery metallic element of the alkali earth group.
35. A small nail.
37. Earn on some commercial or business transaction.
38. A radioactive transuranic element.
40. A port in western Israel on the Mediterranean.
41. Essential oil or perfume obtained from flowers.
42. The hair growing on the lower part of a man's face.
44. A member of the Finno-Ugric-speaking people living in eastern European Russia.
46. King of Denmark and Norway who forced Edmund II to divide England with him.
50. Any of various cycads of the genus Zamia.
51. According to the Old Testament he was a pagan king of Israel and husband of Jezebel (9th century BC).
52. Having the leading position or higher score in a contest.
55. A sultanate in northwestern Borneo.
58. (of complexion) Blemished by imperfections of the skin.
59. (combining form) Indicating radiation or radioactivity.
61. United States writer (1871-1900).
63. A member of an Iroquoian people formerly living on the south shore of Lake Erie in northern Ohio and northwest Pennsylvania and western New York.
64. Lacking in liveliness or charm or surprise.
66. (Islam) The man who leads prayers in a mosque.
67. Medium-sized tree having glossy lanceolate leaves.
68. An organic compound that contains a hydroxyl group bonded to a carbon atom which in turn is doubly bonded to another carbon atom.
70. The 22nd letter of the Greek alphabet.
71. (of securities) Not quoted on a stock exchange.
75. A metric unit of weight equal to one thousandth of a kilogram.
76. Angular distance above the horizon (especially of a celestial object).