1. A pilgrimage to Mecca.
5. A volcanic island republic in Melanesia.
12. Imperial dynasty that ruled China (most of the time) from 206 BC to 221 and expanded its boundaries and developed its bureaucracy.
15. (Old Testament) The eldest son of Isaac who would have inherited the Covenant that God made with Abraham and that Abraham passed on to Isaac.
16. Act in a way that attracts attention.
17. A Kwa language spoken by the Yoruba people in southwestern Nigeria.
18. A book of the New Testament.
19. A person who owns or operates a ranch.
20. Noisy talk.
21. An unproved statement put forward as a premise in an argument.
23. Beautiful daughter of Minos and Pasiphae.
25. The United Nations agency concerned with the interests of labor.
26. Bulky grayish-brown eagle with a short wedge-shaped white tail.
28. Estrangement from god.
29. Tent that is an Eskimo summer dwelling.
32. Having open interstices or resembling a web.
35. Relatively small fast-moving sloth.
38. A Mid-Atlantic state.
39. (of roads) Made of logs laid down crosswise.
45. Morning glory.
47. A member of the people inhabiting the Aleutian Islands and western Alaska.
49. A tricycle (usually propelled by pedalling).
50. A skullcap worn by religious Jews (especially at prayer).
51. Squash bugs.
52. A radioactive element of the actinide series.
54. 1 species.
55. A metric unit of volume equal to one tenth of a liter.
56. A Loloish language.
57. A city in east central Texas.
65. Type genus of the Alcidae comprising solely the razorbill.
69. A flat wing-shaped process or winglike part of an organism.
72. A river in north central Switzerland that runs northeast into the Rhine.
73. One of the five major classes of immunoglobulins.
74. A cut of pork ribs with much of the meat trimmed off.
75. An agency of the United Nations affiliated with the World Bank.
76. Concerning those not members of the clergy.
77. A small tessera.
78. A young woman making her debut into society.
1. A form of energy that is transferred by a difference in temperature.
2. United States writer (born in Poland) who wrote in Yiddish (1880-1957).
3. The specified day of the month.
4. French botanist who categorized plants into families and developed a system of plant classification (1748-1836).
5. Left-hand page.
6. Title for a civil or military leader (especially in Turkey).
7. Having no intelligible meaning.
8. Greenwich Mean Time updated with leap seconds.
9. A Buddhist who has attained nirvana.
10. A relative position or degree of value in a graded group.
11. Come into existence.
12. Austrian composer who influenced the classical form of the symphony (1732-1809).
13. A Kwa language spoken in Ghana and the Ivory Coast.
14. The warhead of a missile designed to deliver an atom bomb.
22. A kind of person.
24. An officer who acts as military assistant to a more senior officer.
27. Something (especially a game) that is played again.
30. Not open.
31. An Asian temple.
33. Marked by deception.
34. A genus of fungi belonging to the family Sarcoscyphaceae.
36. (Greek mythology) Goddess of the earth and mother of Cronus and the Titans in ancient mythology.
37. Jordan's port.
40. Relating to or applicable to or concerned with the administration of a city or town or district rather than a larger area.
41. (botany) Of or relating to the axil.
42. Roman Emperor notorious for his monstrous vice and fantastic luxury (was said to have started a fire that destroyed much of Rome in 64) but the Empire remained prosperous during his rule (37-68).
43. Having the appearance of being real but lacking capacity to function.
44. A digestive juice secreted by the liver and stored in the gallbladder.
46. Do wrongly or improperly.
48. A narrow headband or strip of ribbon worn as a headband.
53. A flag that shows its nationality.
58. Primitive chlorophyll-containing mainly aquatic eukaryotic organisms lacking true stems and roots and leaves.
59. Showing self-interest and shrewdness in dealing with others.
60. A strip of land projecting into a body of water.
61. A river that rises in northeastern Turkey (near the source of the Euphrates) and flows generally eastward through Armenia to the Caspian Sea.
62. On or toward the lee.
63. Cause a floating log to rotate by treading.
64. A blue dye obtained from plants or made synthetically.
66. Set down according to a plan.
67. (of a young animal) Abandoned by its mother and raised by hand.
68. An Arabic speaking person who lives in Arabia or North Africa.
70. Standard time in the 6th time zone west of Greenwich, reckoned at the 90th meridian.
71. A loose sleeveless outer garment made from aba cloth.