1. United States virologist who developed the Salk vaccine that is injected against poliomyelitis (born 1914).
5. Battle in which the ruler of Afghanistan defeated the Mahrattas in 1761.
12. The longer of the two telegraphic signals used in Morse code.
15. An elaborate song for solo voice.
16. Extravasation of urine into the scrotal sac.
17. Fermented alcoholic beverage similar to but heavier than beer.
18. The fleshy part of the human body that you sit on.
19. Held back.
20. An Indian side dish of yogurt and chopped cucumbers and spices.
22. A popular island resort in the Netherlands Antilles.
24. (prefix) Half or partial.
25. Greek author of fables (circa 620-560 BC).
26. All of the inhabitants of the earth.
28. Large burrowing rodent of South and Central America.
30. 10 hao equal 1 dong.
31. Type genus of the Anatidae.
32. A United Nations agency created to assist developing nations by loans guaranteed by member governments.
36. An associate degree in applied science.
39. Any of a number of fishes of the family Carangidae.
42. A short introductory essay preceding the text of a book.
45. A logarithmic unit of sound intensity.
46. 100 avos equal 1 pataca.
47. A metabolic acid found in yeast and liver cells.
48. Moth having nonfunctional mouthparts as adults.
51. (of complexion) Blemished by imperfections of the skin.
53. An Asian river between China and Russia.
54. Of or related to genetically distinguished groups of people.
56. Long green edible beaked pods of the okra plant.
57. Minute aquatic herbs floating on or below the water surface of still water consisting of a leaflike frond or plant body and single root.
59. A form of Japanese poetry.
60. A trivalent metallic element of the rare earth group.
61. The square of a body of any size of type.
62. Temperature just below the boiling point.
65. Having unsuitable feminine qualities.
70. Unique or specific to a person or thing or category.
73. (of tempo) Very fast adv 1.
74. Find repugnant.
76. A Turkish unit of weight equal to about 2.75 pounds.
77. A river in north central Switzerland that runs northeast into the Rhine.
78. An oral beta blocker (trade name Tenormin) used in treating hypertension and angina.
80. Preserve of crushed fruit.
81. The compass point that is midway between north and northeast.
82. Past times remembered with nostalgia.
83. (Irish) Mother of the ancient Irish gods.
1. A region of Malaysia in northeastern Borneo.
2. (Akkadian) Mother and earth goddess in Gilgamish epic.
3. A herbaceous plant genus of the family Linaceae with small sessile leaves.
4. The quarter of many North African cities in which the citadel is located.
5. (British) Tavern consisting of a building with a bar and public rooms.
6. A river that rises in northeastern Turkey (near the source of the Euphrates) and flows generally eastward through Armenia to the Caspian Sea.
7. A pad of paper for keeping notes.
8. Someone who cuts and delivers ice.
9. A tricycle (usually propelled by pedalling).
10. A silvery ductile metallic element found primarily in bauxite.
11. A three-tone Chadic language.
12. A platform raised above the surrounding level to give prominence to the person on it.
13. Of or being the lowest female voice.
14. A collection of objects laid on top of each other.
21. The lofty nest of a bird of prey (such as a hawk or eagle).
23. Squash bugs.
27. A football game in which two teams of 11 players try to kick or head a ball into the opponents' goal.
29. A very poisonous metallic element that has three allotropic forms.
33. Of a surface.
34. American silversmith remembered for his midnight ride (celebrated in a poem by Longfellow) to warn the colonists in Lexington and Concord that British troops were coming (1735-1818).
35. Tall East Indian cedar having spreading branches with nodding tips.
37. An edilbe seaweed with a mild flavor.
38. The oily secretion of the sebaceous glands.
40. A group of islands off the west coast of Sicily in the Mediterranean.
41. A master's degree in business.
43. The property of being remote.
44. An effortful attempt to attain a goal.
49. Aircraft landing in bad weather in which the pilot is talked down by ground control using precision approach radar.
50. In a rakish manner.
52. Ratio of the hypotenuse to the opposite side.
55. A composition that imitates somebody's style in a humorous way.
58. The sodium salt of amobarbital that is used as a barbiturate.
63. Common black European thrush.
64. Dry red table wine from the Rioja region of northern Spain.
66. A theocratic republic in the Middle East in western Asia.
67. (used especially of vegetation) Having lost all moisture.
68. A tiny or scarcely detectable amount.
69. A special way of doing something.
71. A Kwa language spoken in Ghana and the Ivory Coast.
72. A Tibetan or Mongolian priest of Lamaism.
75. Wild and domestic cattle.
79. Half the width of an em.