1. A former monetary unit in Great Britain.
4. Bearing the signature of a witness attesting to something's legality.
12. A periodic paperback publication.
15. A Turkish unit of weight equal to about 2.75 pounds.
16. Avitaminosis caused by lack of thiamine (vitamin B1).
17. An artificial language that is a revision and simplification of Esperanto.
18. A light touch or stroke.
19. Decisively defeated in combat.
20. Any of various thermoplastic resins used to make things.
22. A protective cloth covering for an injured eye.
24. An ancient city in northern Portugal.
25. Chinese tree cultivated especially in Philippines and India for its edible fruit.
26. A bed supporting a road.
28. A silvery malleable metallic element that resists corrosion.
30. A strong solution of sodium or potassium hydroxide.
31. Be in accord.
32. Freedom from difficulty or hardship or effort.
36. The Tibeto-Burman language spoken in the Dali region of Yunnan.
39. How long something has existed.
42. A Russian river.
43. North American republic containing 50 states - 48 conterminous states in North America plus Alaska in northwest North America and the Hawaiian Islands in the Pacific Ocean.
44. Strong lightweight wood of the balsa tree used especially for floats.
46. An oil port in southern Iraq.
49. A radioactive element of the actinide series.
50. Italian violin maker in Cremona.
51. The fluid (red in vertebrates) that is pumped by the heart.
52. A woman hired to suckle a child of someone else.
54. Type genus of the Giraffidae.
56. A white soft metallic element that tarnishes readily.
58. Any of numerous local fertility and nature deities worshipped by ancient Semitic peoples.
59. Remove gas from.
61. The granite-like rocks that form the outermost layer of the earth's crust.
64. The syllable naming the fourth (subdominant) note of the diatonic scale in solmization.
68. Of or relating to or characteristic of Hades or Tartarus.
71. A graphical recording of the cardiac cycle produced by an electrocardiograph.
72. Title for a civil or military leader (especially in Turkey).
73. A genus of Picidae.
75. The syllable naming the sixth (submediant) note of a major or minor scale in solmization.
76. The federal department responsible for safeguarding national security.
77. A restraint that confines or restricts freedom (especially something used to tie down or restrain a prisoner).
78. A loose sleeveless outer garment made from aba cloth.
1. indicate by signs.
2. (informal) Being satisfactory or in satisfactory condition.
3. A confusion of voices and other sounds.
4. The jurisdiction or office of an abbot.
5. Grow teeth.
6. A just detectable amount.
7. After a negative statement used as an intensive meaning something like `likewise' or `also'.
8. The compass point that is one point east of due south.
9. Small often spiny insectivorous mammal of Madagascar.
10. A trivalent metallic element of the rare earth group.
11. Remove from the bar.
12. French revolutionary who was prominent in the early days of the French Revolution (1749-1791).
13. A condensed but memorable saying embodying some important fact of experience that is taken as true by many people.
14. A gland in which gametes (sex cells) are produced.
21. A unit of dry measure used in Egypt.
23. A collection of objects laid on top of each other.
27. The cardinal number that is the sum of seven and one.
29. Shrub bearing oval-fruited kumquats.
33. Big-eyed scad.
34. An esoteric or occult matter that is traditionally secret.
35. A clear oily brown solution of cresols in soap.
37. (Old Testament) The second patriarch.
38. A hidden storage space (for money or provisions or weapons).
40. A port in northwestern Israel on the Bay of Acre.
41. A metric unit of volume or capacity equal to 10 liters.
45. Resistant to change of position or condition.
47. Edge of a way or road or path.
48. A family of Sino-Tibetan languages spoken in southeastern Asia.
53. Type genus of the family Mustelidae.
55. (Norse mythology) The Norse dragon that guarded a treasure and was slain by Sigurd.
57. (astronomy) The reappearance of a celestial body after an eclipse.
60. An upright tripod for displaying something (usually an artist's canvas).
62. The villain in William Shakespeare's tragedy who tricked Othello into murdering his wife.
63. (Babylonian) God of storms and wind.
65. Thin and fit.
66. Someone who works (or provides workers) during a strike.
67. Title for a civil or military leader (especially in Turkey).
69. (usually followed by `to') Naturally disposed toward.
70. (Australian and New Zealand) A disparaging term for English immigrants to Australia or New Zealand.
74. A white metallic element that burns with a brilliant light.