1. An early form of modern jazz (originating around 1940).
4. Cocked hat with the brim turned up to form three points.
11. Make anew.
15. A flat wing-shaped process or winglike part of an organism.
16. Evergreen shrubs with intricately twisted wiry stems that in summer are smothered in small yellow flowers.
17. The twelfth month of the civil year.
18. A summary that repeats the substance of a longer discussion.
20. A manner of speaking that is natural to native speakers of a language.
21. Flat surface that rotates and pushes against air or water.
22. Any of numerous local fertility and nature deities worshipped by ancient Semitic peoples.
23. Any place of complete bliss and delight and peace.
24. Any plant of the genus Eryngium.
26. A state in midwestern United States.
28. Red pear-shaped tropical fruit with poisonous seeds.
30. Resembling or characteristic of or appropriate to an elegy.
34. United States historian (born in 1908).
38. Distinctive and stylish elegance.
40. (used informally) Very small.
41. A unit of power equal to 1 joule per second.
42. A gradual decline (in size or strength or power or number).
44. (Babylonian) A demigod or first man.
46. Title for a civil or military leader (especially in Turkey).
50. To go back over again, as of a route or steps.
52. Point of contact between two objects or parts.
53. Depressing in character or appearance.
55. The fifth day of the week.
56. A soft silvery metallic element of the alkali earth group.
57. Having or resembling a lobe or lobes.
61. A tricycle (usually propelled by pedalling).
65. Make use of.
68. A port city in southwestern Iran.
71. A column of light (as from a beacon).
72. A former monetary unit in Great Britain.
73. The amount of electromagnetic radiation leaving or arriving at a point on a surface.
75. An independent agency of the United States government responsible for collecting and coordinating intelligence and counterintelligence activities abroad in the national interest.
76. (Irish) Mother of the ancient Irish gods.
77. A fibrous amphibole.
78. Thickening of tissue in the motor tracts of the lateral columns and anterior horns of the spinal cord.
1. An aggressive remark directed at a person like a missile and intended to have a telling effect.
2. Evergreen trees and shrubs having oily one-seeded fruits.
3. Large burrowing rodent of South and Central America.
4. A protocol developed for the internet to get data from one network device to another.
5. An artificial language for international use that rejects rejects all existing words and is based instead on an abstract analysis of ideas.
6. Of or containing iridium.
7. A set of rules or principles or laws especially written ones.
8. The largest island of the central Ryukyu Islands.
9. The former capital and 2nd largest city of Brazil.
10. One of the most important fungi cultivated in Japan.
11. A new appraisal or evaluation.
12. A feeling of strong eagerness (usually in favor of a person or cause).
13. Fecal matter of animals.
14. A spread made chiefly from vegetable oils and used as a substitute for butter.
19. Lighted up by or as by fire or flame.
25. A draft for the amount of a dishonored draft plus the costs and charges of drafting again.
27. The branch of computer science that deal with writing computer programs that can solve problems creatively.
29. An informal conversation.
31. (South African) A camp defended by a circular formation of wagons.
32. Everything you own.
33. An administrative unit of government.
35. (sometimes followed by `of') Having or showing realization or perception.
36. Turn away from sin or do penitence.
37. A severe shortage (especially a shortage of food).
39. A small pellet fired from an air rifle or BB gun.
43. A fatal disease of cattle that affects the central nervous system.
45. A young unmarried woman.
47. Any of various long-legged carrion-eating hawks of South and Central America.
48. A city in east central Texas.
49. A member of the Mayan people of the Yucatan peninsula in Mexico.
51. Marked by excessive enthusiasm for and intense devotion to a cause or idea.
54. A silvery ductile metallic element found primarily in bauxite.
58. Ruined by overcooking.
59. The circumstances and ideas of the present age.
60. Deciduous shrub of North America.
62. Very dark black.
63. A Chadic language spoken south of Lake Chad.
64. Type genus of the Anatidae.
66. A large piece of fabric (as canvas) by means of which wind is used to propel a sailing vessel.
67. An unfledged or nestling hawk.
69. Step on it.
70. An associate degree in applied science.
74. A logarithmic unit of sound intensity.