1. The compass point that is one point west of northwest.
5. Tranquilizer (trade name Ativan) used to treat anxiety and tension and insomnia.
11. Tiny leafy-stemmed flowerless plants.
15. Long-bodied long-tailed tropical American wildcat.
16. A nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (trade name Lodine).
17. German industrialist who was the first in Germany to use an assembly line in manufacturing automobiles (1871-1948).
18. English writer (1925-1994).
19. Worthy of trust or belief.
20. A Chadic language spoken south of Lake Chad.
21. A support or foundation.
23. Belonging to some prior time.
25. Marked by excessive enthusiasm for and intense devotion to a cause or idea.
26. Type genus of the Ardeidae.
28. An honorary degree in science.
30. (computer science) American Standard Code for Information Interchange.
32. Large burrowing rodent of South and Central America.
36. (of pain or sorrow) Made easier to bear.
39. City in northeast Pakistan.
40. The habitation of wild animals.
41. Aircraft landing in bad weather in which the pilot is talked down by ground control using precision approach radar.
42. A heavy silvery toxic univalent and bivalent metallic element.
44. Acquire or gain knowledge or skills.
46. (botany) Relating to a plant of the family Araceae.
48. A metabolic acid found in yeast and liver cells.
49. A Russian prison camp for political prisoners.
50. Rounded like an egg.
53. A set of questions or exercises evaluating skill or knowledge.
54. A medicine that induces nausea and vomiting.
56. An easy return of a tennis ball in a high arc.
58. Thorny shrub or small tree common in central Argentina having small orange or yellow flowers followed by edible berries.
63. A dry scab formed on the skin following a burn or cauterization of the skin.
66. Dressed in a tuxedo.
69. Distant in either space or time.
70. (astronomy) The angular distance of a celestial point measured westward along the celestial equator from the zenith crossing.
72. An organism (especially a bacterium) that does not require air or free oxygen to live.
73. A unit of absorbed ionizing radiation equal to 100 ergs per gram of irradiated material.
76. Type genus of the Anatidae.
77. A strong solution of sodium or potassium hydroxide.
78. (of mines and mining) Worked from the exposed surface.
79. A small cake leavened with yeast.
1. New information about specific and timely events.
2. English poet who introduced the sonnet form to English literature (1503-1542).
3. Eurasian rose with prickly stems and fragrant leaves and bright pink flowers followed by scarlet hips.
4. An ambitious and aspiring young person.
5. Angular distance above the horizon (especially of a celestial object).
6. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory (trade name Torodal) that is given only orally.
7. Goddess of spring and wife of Bragi.
8. Gregarious burrowing rodent larger than the chinchillas.
9. (zoology) Of or near the head end or toward the front plane of the body.
10. French marshal in the Napoleonic Wars (1769-1815).
11. Large high frilly cap with a full crown.
12. A translucent mineral consisting of hydrated silica of variable color.
13. Stalk of a moss capsule.
14. A thin strip (wood or metal).
22. A logarithmic unit of sound intensity.
24. The branch of engineering science that studies the uses of electricity and the equipment for power generation and distribution and the control of machines and communication.
27. A full skirt with a gathered waistband.
29. Wedge-shaped bone consisting of five fused vertebrae forming the posterior part of the pelvis.
31. Chiefly Old World herbs or shrubs.
33. Large antelope with lightly spiraled horns of desert regions of North Africa.
34. Tropical American trees with palmately compound leaves and showy bell-shaped flowers.
35. A communist state in Indochina on the South China Sea.
37. A river that rises in central Germany and flows north to join the Elbe River.
38. Any member of a Siouan people speaking one of the Dhegiha languages.
43. Functioning correctly and ready for action.
45. An organization of countries formed in 1961 to agree on a common policy for the sale of petroleum.
47. Having concealed difficulty.
51. (electricity) Pertaining to or producing electric current by chemical action.
52. The blood group whose red cells carry both the A and B antigens.
55. A waiter at a drive-in restaurant.
57. On or toward the lee.
59. Marked by strict and particular and complete accordance with fact.
60. Formerly included in genus Cedrela.
61. Cubes of meat marinated and cooked on a skewer usually with vegetables.
62. A port city of south central Ukraine on an arm of the Black Sea.
64. Controlling influence.
65. (of a young animal) Abandoned by its mother and raised by hand.
67. Relatively small fast-moving sloth.
68. Lacking in liveliness or charm or surprise.
71. Used of a single unit or thing.
74. A radioactive metallic element that is similar to tellurium and bismuth.
75. A state in east central United States.