1. An alliance made up of states that had been Soviet Socialist Republics in the Soviet Union prior to its dissolution in Dec 1991.
4. A strong-smelling plant from whose dried leaves a number of euphoriant and hallucinogenic drugs are prepared.
9. Framework for holding objects.
13. (computer science) A computer that is running software that allows users to leave messages and access information of general interest.
16. In or of the month preceding the present one.
17. Fear resulting from the awareness of danger.
18. Look at with amorous intentions.
19. The network in the reticular formation that serves an alerting or arousal function.
20. An employee who mixes and serves alcoholic drinks at a bar.
22. (Greek mythology) The priestess of Apollo at Delphi who transmitted the oracles.
24. A river in north central Switzerland that runs northeast into the Rhine.
25. (computer science) A system of world-wide electronic communication in which a computer user can compose a message at one terminal that is generated at the recipient's terminal when he logs in.
26. (Akkadian) God of wisdom.
28. A feeling of strong eagerness (usually in favor of a person or cause).
30. The Tibeto-Burman language spoken in the Dali region of Yunnan.
33. Being ten more than one hundred thirty.
34. Stairway in India leading down to a landing on the water.
36. Spherical gram-positive parasitic bacteria that tend to form irregular colonies.
39. A tax on employees and employers that is used to fund the Social Security system.
43. United States naval officer and historian (1840-1914).
47. The largest of the islands comprising Antigua and Barbuda.
48. A soft gray malleable metallic element that resembles tin but discolors on exposure to air.
49. (law) A defense by an accused person purporting to show that he or she could not have committed the crime in question.
50. A heavy odorless colorless gas formed during respiration and by the decomposition of organic substances.
51. Four books in the New Testament that tell the story of Christ's life and teachings.
54. A thin tapered rod used by a conductor to direct an orchestra.
55. Someone who walks at a leisurely pace.
59. Formerly a contemptuous term of address to an inferior man or boy.
61. The United Nations agency concerned with international maritime activities.
62. The basic unit of money in Gambia.
63. Irish playwright whose plays are based on rural Irish life (1871-1909).
65. Having winglike extensions.
67. A constellation in the southern hemisphere near Telescopium and Norma.
68. By bad luck.
69. A Powhatan Indian woman (the daughter of Powhatan) who befriended the English at Jamestown and is said to have saved Captain John Smith's life (1595-1617).
74. A raised mark on the skin (as produced by the blow of a whip).
75. The Mongol people living the the central and eastern parts of Outer Mongolia.
79. A member of an agricultural people of southern India.
83. (folklore) A corpse that rises at night to drink the blood of the living.
87. A branch of the Tai languages.
88. (Irish) Mother of the ancient Irish gods.
89. Of or pertaining to a number system having 8 as its base.
92. A woman hired to suckle a child of someone else.
94. A master's degree in business.
95. A decree that prohibits something.
96. God of wealth and love.
97. An agenda of things to do.
98. Tag the base runner to get him out.
99. Inquire about.
100. A region of Malaysia in northeastern Borneo.
101. A primeval personification of air and breath.
102. A loose sleeveless outer garment made from aba cloth.
1. Spicy fruit of the cubeb vine.
2. Tropical American tree grown in southern United States having a whitish pink-tinged fruit.
3. Successive (without a break).
4. A Gaelic-speaking Celt in Ireland or Scotland or the Isle of Man.
5. Fermented alcoholic beverage similar to but heavier than beer.
6. Greek mythology.
7. A son who has the same first name as his father.
8. The basic unit of electric current adopted under the System International d'Unites.
9. A unit of weight used in some Moslem countries near the Mediterranean.
10. Title for a civil or military leader (especially in Turkey).
11. (in boxing) The act of one boxer holding onto the other to avoid being hit and to rest momentarily.
12. Large brownish-green New Zealand parrot.
13. (informal) Exceptionally good.
14. Any of numerous local fertility and nature deities worshipped by ancient Semitic peoples.
15. An antidepressant drug that acts by blocking the reuptake of serotonin so that more serotonin is available to act on receptors in the brain.
21. A member of a Caddo people formerly living in north central Texas.
23. A woman gossip.
27. A colorless and odorless inert gas.
29. A Christian Bishop who translated the Bible from Greek into Gothic (311-382).
31. A highly unstable radioactive element (the heaviest of the halogen series).
32. Diffusion of molecules through a semipermeable membrane from a place of higher concentration to a place of lower concentration until the concentration on both sides is equal.
35. An island northwest of Wales.
37. (anatomy) Not connected to the sternum or breastbone.
38. A disease caused by deficiency of niacin or tryptophan (or by a defect in the metabolic conversion of tryptophan to niacin).
40. Occurring at the beginning.
41. Alternatively, a member of the family Nymphaeaceae.
42. Pertaining to one of the small sacs (as in a compound gland).
44. Genus of beetles whose grubs feed mainly on roots of plants.
45. An angular shape characterized by sharp turns in alternating directions.
46. A workplace for the conduct of scientific research.
52. A mouth or mouthlike opening.
53. A heavy iron lever with one end forged into a wedge.
56. Cry plaintively.
57. Wife or mistress of Zeus and mother of Apollo and Artemis in ancient mythology.
58. A state in New England.
60. A collection of objects laid on top of each other.
64. Sole genus of the family Naiadaceae.
66. The longer of the two telegraphic signals used in Morse code.
70. The basic unit of money in Zambia.
71. (India) Usually in combination.
72. A flat wing-shaped process or winglike part of an organism.
73. A state in northwestern North America.
76. A genus of Lamnidae.
77. Cubes of meat marinated and cooked on a skewer usually with vegetables.
78. Jordan's port.
80. Type genus of the Anatidae.
81. Unpleasantly cool and humid.
82. A large number or amount.
84. A Chadic language spoken south of Lake Chad.
85. (Islam) The man who leads prayers in a mosque.
86. A river in north central Switzerland that runs northeast into the Rhine.
90. The bill in a restaurant.
91. Title for a civil or military leader (especially in Turkey).
93. Adult female chicken.