1. The compass point midway between south and southwest.
4. Short and fat.
9. Consisting of one of two equivalent parts in value or quantity.
13. Used of a single unit or thing.
16. The 7th letter of the Greek alphabet.
17. A unit of magnetic flux density equal to one weber per square meter.
18. Type genus of the Aceraceae.
19. The cry made by sheep.
20. Untanned hide especially of cattle.
22. A spirit believed by Muslims to inhabit the earth and influence mankind by appearing in the form of humans or animals.
24. The universal time coordinated when an event is received on Earth.
25. Of or relating to the velum.
26. Causing fear or dread or terror.
29. Angular distance above the horizon (especially of a celestial object).
31. A soft silvery metallic element of the alkali earth group.
32. A simple form inferred as the common basis from which related words in several languages can be derived by linguistic processes.
34. A public promotion of some product or service.
37. A republic in the Middle East in western Asia.
38. Collect or gather.
41. Australian shrubs and small trees with evergreen usually spiny leaves and dense clusters of showy flowers.
44. (Judaism) A Jewish festival (traditionally 8 days) celebrating the exodus of the Israelites from Egypt.
48. The rate of moving (especially walking or running).
51. Goddess of the dead and queen of the underworld.
52. A farm tool having one or more heavy blades to break the soil and cut a furrow prior to sowing.
53. Similar or related in quality or character.
54. A very poisonous metallic element that has three allotropic forms.
55. United States photographer remembered for her portraits of rural workers during the Depression (1895-1965).
56. Gained or acquired.
60. One thousandth of a second.
61. (informal) Of the highest quality.
62. Tropical starchy tuberous root.
64. A high wave (often dangerous) caused by tidal flow (as by colliding tidal currents or in a narrow estuary).
65. A radioactive transuranic element.
66. The act of scanning.
68. (dentistry) A filling consisting of a solid substance (as gold or porcelain) fitted to a cavity in a tooth and cemented into place.
70. An international organization of European countries formed after World War II to reduce trade barriers and increase cooperation among its members.
73. (Akkadian) God of wisdom.
74. A silvery soft waxy metallic element of the alkali metal group.
75. The basic unit of money in Albania.
76. Of the appetites and passions of the body.
81. Cubes of meat marinated and cooked on a skewer usually with vegetables.
85. A flat-bottomed volcanic crater that was formed by an explosion.
89. (Babylonian) God of storms and wind.
92. A port in western Israel on the Mediterranean.
93. An independent group of closely related Chadic languages spoken in the area between the Biu-Mandara and East Chadic languages.
94. Arouse hostility or indifference in where there had formerly been love, affection, or friendliness.
96. A theocratic republic in the Middle East in western Asia.
97. A primeval personification of air and breath.
98. Thick dark syrup produced by boiling down juice from sugar cane.
99. (Greek mythology) Daughter of Zeus and Demeter.
1. A stroke (in tennis or badminton or squash) that puts the ball in play.
2. French romantic writer (1766-1817).
3. Make high-pitched, whiney noises.
4. A disorderly outburst or tumult.
5. A relativistic quantum theory of the electromagnetic interactions of photons and electrons and muons.
6. Employed in accomplishing something.
7. A silvery ductile metallic element found primarily in bauxite.
8. A Chadic language spoken in northern Nigeria.
9. A member of a seafaring group of North American Indians who lived on the Pacific coast of British Columbia and southwestern Alaska.
10. An inflammatory disease involving the sebaceous glands of the skin.
11. Someone who lends money or gives credit in business matters.
12. The sixth day of the week.
13. At right angles to the length of a ship or airplane.
14. Australian clover fern.
15. Having been taken into the mouth for consumption.
21. Sewn by hand rather than machine.
23. Rapid and indistinct speech.
27. A substance produced by the hypothalamus that is capable of accelerating the secretion of a given hormone by the anterior pituitary gland.
28. English prelate and statesman.
30. (astronomy) The angular distance of a celestial point measured westward along the celestial equator from the zenith crossing.
33. The sound made by a gentle blow.
35. East Indian tree bearing a profusion of intense vermilion velvet-textured blooms and yielding a yellow dye.
36. German naturalist whose speculations that plants and animals are made up of tiny living `infusoria' led to the cell theory (1779-1851).
39. Stem of the rattan palm used for making canes and umbrella handles.
40. Absence of the pupil in an eye.
42. Situated at an apex.
43. Make less active or intense.
45. A strong-smelling plant from whose dried leaves a number of euphoriant and hallucinogenic drugs are prepared.
46. The mathematics of generalized arithmetical operations.
47. German biologist and philosopher.
49. Artifact consisting of soft or resilient material used to fill or give shape or protect or add comfort.
50. A member of the Siouan people formerly living in Missouri in the valleys of the Missouri and Osage rivers.
57. The branch of engineering science that studies the uses of electricity and the equipment for power generation and distribution and the control of machines and communication.
58. A person to whom money is paid.
59. (usually plural) The state of having reflex spasms of the diaphragm accompanied by a rapid closure of the glottis producing an audible sound.
63. A nucleic acid consisting of large molecules shaped like a double helix.
67. A resident of Nevada.
68. A disorderly outburst or tumult.
69. Any of various plants of the genus Althaea.
71. Of or relating to the ancient Aramaic languages.
72. An associate degree in nursing.
77. The blood group whose red cells carry both the A and B antigens.
78. Lower in esteem.
79. The month following March and preceding May.
80. Social status or position conferred by a system based on class.
82. Mild yellow Dutch cheese made in balls.
83. Herb of the Pacific islands grown throughout the tropics for its edible root and in temperate areas as an ornamental for its large glossy leaves.
84. South African term for `boss'.
86. A rounded thickly curled hairdo.
87. (old-fashioned) At or from or to a great distance.
88. Type genus of the Ranidae.
90. A rotating disk shaped to convert circular into linear motion.
91. The portion of the vertebrate nervous system consisting of the brain and spinal cord.
95. A radioactive transuranic element produced by bombarding plutonium with neutrons.