1. The first month of the year.
4. A shoe carved from a single block of wood.
9. Portuguese explorer who in 1488 was the first European to get round the Cape of Good Hope (thus establishing a sea route from the Atlantic to Asia) (1450-1500).
13. The basic unit of electric current adopted under the System International d'Unites.
16. A constellation in the southern hemisphere near Telescopium and Norma.
17. An anti-TNF compound (trade name Arava) that is given orally.
18. An Eskimo hut.
19. (slang) A gangster's pistol.
20. The 26th letter of the Roman alphabet.
21. Someone who provides food and service (as for a party).
23. A member of the Circassian people living east of the Black Sea.
25. A Chadic language spoken in northern Nigeria.
27. A republic in central Europe.
28. Surface layer of ground containing a matt of grass and grass roots.
29. A soft silvery metallic element of the alkali earth group.
31. A doctor's degree in music.
34. Situated at an apex.
37. Someone who etches.
41. Having low density.
43. Socks and stockings and tights collectively (the British include underwear as hosiery).
44. An Arabic speaking person who lives in Arabia or North Africa.
45. A soft white precious univalent metallic element having the highest electrical and thermal conductivity of any metal.
48. Type genus of the family Arcidae.
49. On the negative side or lower end of a scale.
50. Small terrestrial lizard of warm regions of the Old World.
52. (British) A waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric.
53. (computer science) A data transmission rate (bits/second) for modems.
57. A transuranic element that has not been found in nature.
58. British art critic (1819-1900).
60. A state in midwestern United States.
63. The time between occurrences of a repeating event.
65. (in Gnosticism) A divine power or nature emanating from the Supreme Being and playing various roles in the operation of the universe.
66. A steep artificial slope in front of a fortification.
69. The capacitance of a capacitor that has an equal and opposite charge of 1 coulomb on each plate and a voltage difference of 1 volt between the plates.
71. (astronomy) A measure of time defined by Earth's orbital motion.
72. A severe or trying experience.
76. The lofty nest of a bird of prey (such as a hawk or eagle).
78. Employed in accomplishing something.
80. A city in southern Turkey on the Seyhan River.
83. A bar of sand.
85. A thoroughfare (usually including sidewalks) that is lined with buildings.
88. A shape that sags.
89. Evergreen trees and shrubs having oily one-seeded fruits.
90. A Tibetan or Mongolian priest of Lamaism.
92. (of persons) Highest in rank or authority or office.
93. A dark-skinned member of a race of people living in Australia when Europeans arrived.
94. Cry weakly or softly.
95. Cheese containing a blue mold.
96. Resist or confront with resistance.
97. (Irish) Ancient Irish god (probably a god of the sun).
1. Empty rhetoric or insincere or exaggerated talk.
2. A particular geographical region of indefinite boundary (usually serving some special purpose or distinguished by its people or culture or geography).
3. A quantity of no importance.
4. An enclosed space.
5. A river in central Brazil that flows generally northward (with many falls) to join the Tocantins River.
6. Moderate or restrain.
7. A bid that is higher than preceding bids.
8. Covered with paving material.
9. A full skirt with a gathered waistband.
10. A class of proteins produced in lymph tissue in vertebrates and that function as antibodies in the immune response.
11. A flat wing-shaped process or winglike part of an organism.
12. A set whose members are members of another set.
13. Title for a civil or military leader (especially in Turkey).
14. A flat-bottomed volcanic crater that was formed by an explosion.
15. An anxiety disorder associated with serious traumatic events and characterized by such symptoms as guilt about surviving or reliving the trauma in dreams or numbness and lack of involvement with reality or recurrent thoughts and images.
22. (Akkadian) God of wisdom.
24. The basic unit of money in Zambia.
26. The bud of a rose.
30. Cubes of meat marinated and cooked on a skewer usually with vegetables.
32. A chain of coral and volcanic islands in Micronesia halfway between New Guinea and Japan.
33. (Greek mythology) God of the heavens.
35. (Greek mythology) Immortal winged horse that sprang from the blood of the slain Medusa.
36. Of or relating to the ancient Aramaic languages.
38. An endocrine secretion that is transmitted by the blood to the tissue on which it has a specific effect.
39. Edible terrestrial snail usually served in the shell with a sauce of melted butter and garlic.
40. A chemical substance that is present at the start of a chemical reaction.
42. A radioactive element of the actinide series.
46. A coffee cake flavored with orange rind and raisins and almonds.
47. Become muscular or fleshy.
51. Four books in the New Testament that tell the story of Christ's life and teachings.
54. A heavy brittle metallic element of the platinum group.
55. A colorless and odorless inert gas.
56. Covered with beads of liquid.
59. A city in northern India.
61. Gull family.
62. A unit of dry measure used in Egypt.
64. A Chadic language spoken in Chad.
65. A flat wing-shaped process or winglike part of an organism.
67. A tree of shrub of the genus Cornus often having showy bracts resembling flowers.
68. The 17th letter of the Hebrew alphabet.
70. An absence of emotion or enthusiasm.
73. Of or pertaining to hearing or the ear.
74. An insecticide that is also toxic to animals and humans.
75. Of or in or relating to the nose.
76. A colorless and odorless inert gas.
77. River in eastern Asia.
79. (Old Testament) The eldest son of Isaac who would have inherited the Covenant that God made with Abraham and that Abraham passed on to Isaac.
81. (Babylonian) God of wisdom and agriculture and patron of scribes and schools.
82. Highly excited.
84. A white linen liturgical vestment with sleeves.
86. A unit of absorbed ionizing radiation equal to 100 ergs per gram of irradiated material.
87. Liquid containing proteins and electrolytes including the liquid in blood plasma and interstitial fluid.
91. A state in New England.